Part 17: Reluctant Alliances

A feminine voice sang, "Everybody, now!"

On cue a band of mercenaries burst out from their hiding places in the branches of the trees around them, wielding a prismatic arsenal of glowing weapons. Sword blades, spear points and axe heads met flesh and cut down the blindsided Marauders in a matter of moments. Noct stared in astonishment as the group of player killers were reduced to data fragments before his eyes.

Seeing his chance, the wolf master jabbed his elbow into Noct's stomach and broke free. He tried to run but didn't get far before a volley of throwing knives found their mark, sinking into his legs and lower back, crippling him. A petite girl dropped onto him from above a second later, her long brown hair and flowing scarf floating in the air for a second as she forced him onto the ground with all fours like a cat pouncing on a mouse.

Akari's katar appeared on her wrist as she pulled her arm back. Her arm froze in place. One of the mercenaries called from behind, "Do it! Finish him off!"

Noct stood next to Akari. Her arm was still poised to drive the blade into the incapacitated Red, but her whole body was tensed and even slightly shaking. She furrowed her brow and bit her lip. Still the blade didn't come down.

Noct placed a hand on her shoulder. "You don't have to. I'll do it."

Akari's arm fell onto her lap as she let out the breath she'd been holding in with a sigh. "I don't know why I... I guess it's because they were going to hurt you." She got up and traded places with Noct. "We could give him to the Army and let them arrest him," she suggested, brushing herself off.

Noct looked up. The sun was nearly down. "There's no time. It's getting dark, and having a prisoner will slow us down. We don't want to be out here at night." He twirled his sword so that it pointed down and grasped the hilt with both hands. "Executing judgement," he muttered before impaling the last Marauder through the back, draining the last of his HP and shattering him into pieces.

The band of mercenaries cheered and celebrated their victory, sharing high-fives and fist bumps all around. Akari drew herself up and stood as tall as she could, putting her hands on her hips.

"Okay you guys! Good job! Our plan worked out perfectly," Akari said to the mercs, who were in high spirits after the successful attack. "The sun is going down so we need to keep moving! Bring the supplies and let's hurry on, but keep looking out for more enemies!"

"OSU!" The mercs shouted in unison and pumped their fists in the air. Some went ahead to scout while some went back down the road to retrieve their supply cart, leaving Noct and Akari with a few minutes alone.

Noct blinked, then turned back to Akari. "'Osu?' Did you teach them that?" he asked, not entirely sure of what he witnessed.

Akari beamed. "Heheh! Good guess! I've always wanted to do that if I ever ended up leading a group. I think it really helps pump them up." Her smile quickly faded and a look of worry took its place. "Are you hurt?" She gingerly reached out to touch Noct's lacerated body. Her hand quickly pulled back when he flinched at her delicate touch.

"Tch!" Noct winced as his wound stung. Akari looked equal parts startled and horrified.

"Sorry! Did I hurt you?" She held her arms up like she wanted to hug him, but didn't know if she should touch him again. It looked as though she didn't know what to do with her arms.

"No, just... Try not to touch until I've healed." Noct eyed his HP bar, watching the meter slowly but steadily fill back up. "Hey, what're you doing out here anyway? And with a bunch of mercs?"

The girl in ninja's garb snapped. "I could ask you the same thing, Nokkun! I thought you were in jail! You said you'd let everything go and live in the countryside with me! Now I find you out here fighting against a full party all stupid and dumb-like! What were you doing?! Did you want to die?!" Noct could only stand and bear the storm of a woman's anger, even though she stood a full head shorter than him.