Part 8: Reunion

The unexpected confrontation with Mortem on Floor 1 didn't make moving around in the cities any easier, as Noct had hoped to achieve yesterday with his exiting plea to the other players in Aincrad. When Noct attempted to lower his hood as he entered a general store, he noticed the people nearby gossiping behind his back and sneaking glances at him. Another time, he came too close to a People's Army guard, prompting the guard to follow him while loudly asking him to stop. A scene was averted by quickly turning a corner and blending in with a passing group of players.

With some dodging and sneaking around, Noct finally arrived at Charz's cafe, where he expected to meet the people who supported and cheered him on yesterday. It was Akari's idea, said Lashette, who told Zephyr and Kael to tell Noct to come meet everyone at the cafe. Supposedly it was to celebrate Noct's victory in his duel and his freedom, but if this was Akari's doing, it was probably just an excuse to get Noct to come out long enough for her to finally see him in the first time in ages.

But "come meet everyone"?

At this point, you can't call the number of people who would come out "everyone", Noct thought wryly.

The sign that hung on the door read «CLOSED FOR RESERVED PARTY». Noct pulled on the door handle, and when it automatically unlocked and opened easily, he walked inside.

"He's here!" the barkeeper announced, causing the patrons to turn around in their seats. Seated around two tables put together were Zephyr, Kael, Lashette, Akari, and Taira. Akari leapt out of her chair, causing it to teeter precariously backwards in the process, and ran around the table to the boyfriend she'd been separated from for over two months.

"Noct-kun!" She squealed, nearly in tears as she jumped into Noct's arms, half-tackling, half-hugging him. Noct didn't hesitate to catch her and squeeze back tightly, burying his nose in her hair and breathing in her familiar scent. Akari's aroma smelled like sweet spices. He couldn't help but hold her closer.

"...Stupid boy."

Noct froze. He released the hug and held Akari by the shoulders at arm's length.

"What did you say?" Noct asked, willing his pulse to stay calm. He still had a dull headache from yesterday, and just then he felt another throb of pain. He tried his best to ignore it.

Akari looked up at him oddly. "I didn't say anything," she said as Noct suddenly grabbed and yanked the neck of her top down, looking frenetically around her shoulder and collar.

"Hey! What are you doing?!" She hissed in a low voice. She grabbed Noct's wrist but didn't resist him as he searched her.

To Noct's relief, there was nothing out of the ordinary on Akari's clothes or skin. He let out a grateful sigh of relief.

"Nothing. I missed you," he said, bringing Akari back into an embrace again. They looked at each other for a second, and then began to laugh together.

"Yo, Noct's laughing! I didn't think he ever laughed," Taira whispered to the rest of the attendees, who were standing on standby while they politely allowed Noct and Akari a minute to reunite. "Alright, save the rest for when you find a room, ya lovebirds!" Taira called out to them.

"Aw, give 'em a break. It's probably been tough for them," Zephyr said. "It's great that they're able to see each other again. Lucky we ran into Noct, right guys?" Kael nodded in agreement, his nose in a book, while Lashette continued to watch Noct and Akari from afar.

"They're cute," Lashette murmured with a smile.

Taira's call brought Noct and Akari back to reality, and the two rejoined their friends at the table.