Part Two: The Capitol

Song is for when the chariots go out. Trust me, you'll know the scene when you read it. Enjoy the story, and let me know your thoughts on it!
Please vote and/or comment if you enjoy reading this, all support is greatly appreciated!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They hadn't gotten far off the train before they were herded into a nearby building, and again separated.  Ashley didn't seem to care as more Capitol people swarmed them, whispering about all the work that had to be done.  The two that had taken him could only glance at his hand, gasping at its ruined appearance.  One -a female- laid her hand on his shoulder, sympathy clouding her eyes.  "If you win, we could have that fixed," she smiled reassuringly.

            He had never thought about having his hand fixed; had never had the technology or opportunity to even attempt it.  "Really?"  There was no actual interest in his voice, but the question delighted her, her magenta colored eyebrows almost meeting her similarly colored hair.

            "Of course!  Anything is possible," she gave a light laugh, leading him into a stall with metal walls, lights flickering on at their presence.  "Sit, sit."  He was nearly pushed down onto a bedlike table, the woman looking through a row of strange tools that had been laid out.

            "So much to be done.  Deeva will have a lot of work ahead of her," the man murmured, keeping his voice low.

            "I believe the better phrase is, "a new canvas"."  Another woman with dark yellow hair stood in the entrance of the stall, the light reflecting off her almost golden eyes.  They were technically brown, but the flecks of gold mixed in were so bright they cast the brown into shadow.  A smile graced her lips as she studied him, forming plans in her head.  "No, he is perfect.  Just tweak a few things here and there, and he will be ready for the Capitol."

He hadn't expected her to think of him as anything near perfect, no one, not even those of his district, had ever thought that.  "The question is if they will be ready for him."  Kaede didn't need to look at the other two in the stall to know they were as caught off guard with that statement.  They had gone rigid, their mouths opened in surprise.  Deeva though didn't react, instead leaving as quickly as she had appeared, that smile still planted firmly on her face.

            The man and woman went back to work, trimming, and cleaning every last bit of him, their expressions firm and uncertain.  Kaede could feel the minutes slowly morph into an hour as he sat there being prodded, his body feeling unusually lighter.  When they finally finished, Deeva returned and they left without a word.  "What is the point of all this?"  He could feel the new weightlessness of his hair, now only an inch at most off his head.

            "The Games have always had an aspect of glamour and pomp to them.  No one wants to see a cast of ragged children going at each other.  It's unsightly."  She sat down across from him, still looking more at his body than simply just him.  "I am your stylist, assigned by the Capitol."

            "And what exactly does that mean?"

            Her smile deepened, those eyes sparkling.  "It means I help you look desirable," she stated simply.  "You are going to want sponsors, especially with that hand of yours.  I and my abilities will ensure you catch the eye of said sponsors."

            "Who would want to sponsor me, and why?"  Berkeley had said nothing of this aspect of the games, hadn't even hinted at it.

            "Citizens of the Capitol sponsor their favorite tributes, and send items that are vital to their survival in the arena."  The smile faltered into a frown.  "Has your mentor said nothing of this to you?"