Chapter Five- Disappearing Mermaids

Chapter Five

“Yet another jacket bites the dust.” Melinda said as she threw her now torn leather jacket in the trash.

            Melinda sighed as she walked into the Manor. It was later on that evening and she had changed into comfortable sweatpants and a white tee. Her cousins Hayley, Portia, Henry, and Patience were outside playing basketball with her brothers. Usually, she would go and join them, but she was still tired from her battle with Skelly.

            She walked into the kitchen and found her mom baking some chocolate chip cookies, Mel’s favorite. Piper had always loved to cook and bake. She managed a nightclub, P3, for years and now also owned a restaurant called Charmed (wink, wink).

            “Do you need any help?” Melinda asked as she sat down at the breakfast table. She looked out the window and saw her brothers and cousins playing and laughing. Melinda smiled to herself.

            Melinda, like her mother, loved to cook. However, she didn’t want to make a career out of it. Instead, she wanted to become an artist, like her Aunt Paige once had. Paige used to love to draw and paint, but her wiccan duties often got in the way of her pursuing a life in the arts. She still drew from time to time, but she had more important things to get done.

            “No thanks. These are just about to go in the oven.” Piper replied. She glanced at her daughter, concern evident on her face. “You look a little bit tired, sweetie. Is everything okay?”

            Melinda nodded. “Yeah, I just haven’t been getting a lot of sleep lately.”

            Piper slid the cookies into the oven and walked over to a cabinet, looking for something. “I’ve noticed. Not that I’m spying on you, but I hear you in your room in the middle of the night moving around.”

            “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

            “Don’t worry about it.” Piper said as she grabbed a clear jar from the cupboard and made her way over to the table. “Do you have any idea why you aren’t sleeping? Are you having nightmares?”

            “No, no, it’s nothing like that. I just wake up in the middle of the night and can’t go back to sleep for a while.” Mel shrugged her shoulders. “It’s really not a big deal.”

            “Well, this might help you sleep.” Piper replied, handing the young witch the jar.

            “What is it?” Melinda asked, eyeing the jar.

            “It’s an old Halliwell recipe. My grams taught me how to mix a few special herbs and spices together; it’s supposed to help calm your nerves and relax you which, in turn, makes you sleep better.” Piper explained.

            “Thanks, Mom.” Melinda smiled.

            Just then, Hope orbed in. It was obvious she was very distraught about something. “We have a major problem.”

           “What’s wrong?” Melinda asked, standing up.

            “Where is everybody?” Hope questioned.

            “Hayley, Portia, Patience, Henry, Chris and Wyatt are out back playing basketball. Pey had a late class.” Melinda informed her.

            “Someone needs to go get her. This is an emergency.” Hope said. Melinda glanced at her mother, noticing that she was just as worried as Melinda appeared.