Chapter 31 | Unconditional

*Sabina's POV*

It's been two weeks and I've had enough of Jack ignoring me. Even though I'm near him, he's distant. And I can't deal with it anymore.

"Sabina!"

"What?" I say, turning to face Alexa. "Sorry, I zoned out."

She sighs deeply and pinches the bridge of her nose. "You seriously need to get help," She mumbles.

"I know," I mumble back. "What were you saying before?

"I was saying that I know a lot about you but I don't know when your birthday is," She repeats.

"You just missed it," I say with a smile.

Alexa's eyes widen slightly. "What? When was it?"

"6th December. It was before you came here."

"Happy late birthday," She says weakly.

"Thanks."

"I have to get you a present and a card now."

"No, no!" I exclaim. "There's seriously no need to get me any presents at all."

"You don't like presents?"

"No I do, but I don't like it when people feel they have to get me presents just because they forgot it was my birthday or they missed it," I explain.

"Oh ok but I'm definitely getting you a present this year."

"You really don't have to. It's fine," I say.

"But I am going to. Enough said," Alexa says defiantly and crosses her arms over her chest.

"Girls, I don't mind you talking but are you actually getting some work done?" The teacher says and we both look up. We quickly hold up our drawings to show her and she nods in approval.

"Like she ever tells us if she likes our work or not," Alexa mutters in annoyance and I laugh quietly.

"When's your birthday?" I whisper.

"18th May."

"I'm so getting you a present."

"You seriously don't have to," Alexa pleads.

"You seriously don't have to," I mock her, mimicking her words in a high pitched voice. "I'm seriously gonna."

"Don't tell me that this is going to be some birthday present war starting?"

"It's on sister," I reply. I look up at the clock and see that we have five minutes left of the lesson. I get up from my seat and quickly wash my paint palette, making sure it's clean from the paint. I even take the time to scrub off the previous stains left by other people who didn't bother to clean the palette properly.

I put my painting in the back of the room on the drying rack and throw away the tissues I've used to clean the brushes with. I put my bag over my shoulder and sit back down on my seat, waiting for the bell to go.

"Are you doing anything after school today?" Alexa asks.

"Um, not that I know of." As soon as the words leave my mouth, I immediately know what I'm going to do. "Actually, I'm going to meet up with Jack."

"Are you and Jack ok? Like, you guys seem a bit distant with each other," She says tentatively.

"I think he might me kind of mad at me," I admit slowly.

"How come?"

"You know on that snow day, I told you about what Jack asked me and you said it was probably nothing?" She nods in response. "Well, he asked again and I told him no and ever since that, he's been ignoring me. I've left it for a bit but I'm hoping to find out why he has such a problem with it."