Chapter 11

I impatiently twirled the navy blue phone cord swiftly around my index finger as I sat on top of the bench, waiting for the dial to end and for Gemma to answer. She finally picked up after about five rings, which was definitely unusual for her. Every other time I called her up, she'd answer after about the second or third.

"Hello?"

"Gemma, hey," I replied, untangling the cord, which was now tightly caught around my finger, slowly but surely cutting off my circulation.

"Hey girly, what's poppin'?"

I laughed at the sudden New York urban accent she'd attempted, which turned out to sound like an utter disaster. 

"Nothing. I was just calling to ask if you wanted to go to the shops? I have to buy my dad a birthday present."

After about a week and a half, I still managed to procrastinate against buying a gift, but now that my mum had caught me on a Saturday afternoon, when I was doing absolutely nothing, she was practically prepared to shove me out the front door.

"Oh really? Well, uh, sure."

I frowned at her uncommon reply before speaking again. "I mean, if you don't want to, then you don't have to..."

"No, of course I want to go," she said, and I sat on the other line, petulantly waiting for her to continue speaking, which she never did. I rolled my eyes, completely aware, and also very thankful, that she couldn't see me.

"But?"

It's just," she began, exhaling slowly. I started to feel a little bit irritated, waiting and expecting some kind of ridiculous excuse from her. "Well my friend from high school, you know Drew?"

I smiled when I remembered the little conversation I had had with Drew last night. That was until Harry cut in and practically brain washed Drew into thinking that I actually wanted to get with him. Pfffft.

"Yeah, we sat together at dinner last night."

"Oh really?" she asked, and I could hear her smiling, which resulted in me grinning like an idiot. It was now very obvious that Gemma had a little something something for Drew. "He's great right?"

"Yeah, he's a cool guy."

"Well anyway," she began, clearing her throat softly. "He kind of asked me to spend the afternoon with him. He's going to be here any second now."

"Oh.." I replied, not really knowing how to feel about this. I snapped out of my idiotic thoughts when I realised that this was a good thing. It was about time that Gemma found somebody who was going to make her smile. And I had to showcase that I was happy for her. "That's fantastic, Gem."

I heard her sigh in relief. "Are you sure you're okay with that, though? I mean, I would love to go shopping today, so if you wante-"