Incinerate All Hopes

I took deep breaths as I hooked my gear onto my suit. Today was the day.

I didn't know what to expect in the arena. From what I had seen in videos, the arena began with a large field with a large structure in the middle, usually surrounded by weapons. The first few minutes were a bloodbath that I was urged to stay away from, but I knew I wouldn't survive without weapons. I knew I wouldn't survive anyway but I thought I'd give myself a chance.

"Just breathe." a helper whispered as she passed me all the gear I needed. I nodded and continued to hook myself in. "When you get into the arena, search for water. Water will become your best friend for these next few weeks. Do not go for the weapons, the Careers will finish you without flinching." She instructed. I nodded, knowing that I would do the complete opposite to what she was saying. "ONE MINUTE" the speakers resonated through the small - otherwise quiet - room.

I took one last deep breath and held it as I got into the tube that would raise me up into the arena. I stepped onto the plate and turn to face the small room. This was the last time I would ever see the real world again. All that was left for me was this arena. How long would I last? A day? A minute? I started shaking as the door slowly started to slide shut. Tears started forming in my eyes. "Stay strong" the helper mouthed to me. I wiped my tears, stood up straight and nodded, lips quivering. "30 SECONDS" the plate started to rise. She twirled her finger around in the air indicating that I needed to turn around and so I did. The tube led me up to a patch of darkness, before exposing me to blinding light. My body started feeling warmer. It must have been caused by the stress and anxiety I was feeling.

No.. This wasn't normal at all. The pain was nearly excruciating. My eyes weren't adjusting to the light; in fact - they were stinging. My palms started to sweat, my legs started to numb and it began to get difficult to breathe. I was nearly standing on the plateau when I saw it. Fire.

It was difficult to see anything but the blurred neon numbers on what looked like a familiar structure straight ahead. "15,14,13..." I focused my attention on the numbers, they would direct me to the weapons. I heard coughing and choking around me. The ash and smoke around me were unbearable, it was making me want to run right off the pedestal. That's when I heard a loud explosion not one hundred meters away from me. I gulped and slowly looked to my right, all that was left was a pedestal with the number "8" on it. The person - nowhere to be seen. I looked away.

I focused my attention on the numbers and tried to find a path to the nearest weapon. My eyes drifted from my feet and followed the ground to the only weapon in sight. A spear. Brilliant. I looked further to the opposite side of the structure to see who else would attempt to get the spear. My eyes led me to another pedestal and I analyzed it. Long, lean legs; strong looking upper body...

Barrone.