Long rides and Small talk

Moving. The thing I hate more than moving is the packing.

If you've ever moved then you most likely understand. Packing is awful, especially when you're extremely lazy like myself. In the next week I have before I move, I have a mattress on the floor, 7 outfits in my closet, some essentials like my hair brush, tooth brush, makeup etc... and that's it. My mom wanted to have everything packed so it would be easier to move. I'm not worried about if it'll be easy to move, I just want it to be easy for me to find the clothes I've accidentally packed. Like my twenty one pilots shirt (I say it's my lucky shirt).

My mom says that moving will be a great experience for my sister and I. I don't want to disagree with her, but our life is here in Toronto, not in London.

My sister Ashly is devastated, mostly because she graduates elementary schools this year and she will have to graduate with people she just met. Me, well I graduate high school in 2 years (I am going into grade 11 come September).

Mom's excited to move though, she works on the board of directors for our schools here in Toronto and is now being transferred to London.

One week; then I'll be able to find everything I need...like my lucky shirt.

"Mom? Have you seen my straightener?" yells Ashly from upstairs.

"No, I haven't seen it. Why do you need it now?"

"Because... " started Ashly "I want to straighten my hair, why else?"

My mom slowly shook her head and replied "Sweetie we will be in the car for a good 3 hours and you won't see anyone, you will be fine"

Mom checks her watch, it's 9:45 am. The moving truck is coming at 10:30 to help move the bigger things, like our beds.

"Kate? Where are you?" Mom yells downstairs to me.

Mom walks downstairs through the wreck room to get to my room. The sound of music starts to become audible as my mom gets closer to my room.

Love me by The 1975 is playing on my playlist right now.

Knock knock kock

I turn up the volume thinking it's Ashly at my door. The knocking continues but louder and more forceful. I finally press pause right before the chorus and see my mom standing at my door with a little box.

"Sorry mom, thought you were Ashly..." I start and mom laughs under her breath. She tells me to be ready for the hundredth time and I nod knowingly. "What's in the box?"

She smiles and says "I was just getting to that. "She opens the lid of the box and reveals a beautiful gold ring with an emerald on top.

"It was your grandmothers... on your father's side... " She replies and sighs. Mom doesn't like to talk about dad much. I never knew him, neither did Ashly. He didn't die, we just don't know where he is, or who he is for that matter.

"Wow...Thank you! But why are you giving this to me? " I ask.

"Well... let's just say a powerful young lady such as you deserves a bold accessory."

Powerful? Why have people always said I'm powerful? I was the weakest in gym class, I am not a motivational speaker...or a speaker for the matter and I'm not a witch! What power are they talking about?

My mom exits my room and I stare at the ring like it will behold some great secret. I put the ring on and go back to dancing around my room waiting for the truck.

We have just finished packing our car. The moving truck came and took everything that we couldn't fit. I stare out of my window at my sister hugging her friends goodbye, promising they'll stay in touch. I like to keep to myself, yes I have friends but I said goodbye to them yesterday.