Chapter 4

Dean's POV

Art period was good. Didn't learn much, but it was good. Turns out Castiel had a bunch of classes with me. English, biology, history, art. Currently, it was lunch. Cafeteria is full of assholes, so went to my special place. It wasn't some sort of remote place, but a cute gazebo in a park a few blocks from the school. I liked it because no one came here, so it was very quiet. It takes about 5 minutes to walk there.

As I walked, I began thinking, not about what I usually think about, but about the mysterious boy I met today. Rumors spread about him. Strange rumors. They varied from, "I heard he got out of jail for attempted murder," to "I knew someone who went to his old school in Cali, and apparently, he got expelled, and that's why he lives here." A lot of them consisted of the word gay or bisexual.

I knew not which rumors were true and which were fabricated, but I had decided to keep my distance because, in case any of them were true.

I arrived at the park soon after, and found a boy with spiked black hair and dyed white tips sitting in the exact space I usually sit. As I approached, I realized it was none other than Castiel Novak. Even worse, Castiel Novak with a lit cigarette between his teeth.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

Based on his facial expression when he turned around, I startled him. "What? Do I need a permit to sit here?" After he said that, he took a long drag of his cigarette and blew it in my face.

I coughed, and fanned the smoke away from my face. "Whatever. I'll find somewhere else to go."

"Nah, I'm sorry Blondie, come back." I thought he was joking, but by the tone of his voice, he was dead serious, so I walked back slowly and sat next to him, with about 2 feet between us.

He chuckled. "C'mon Dean. I don't bite." He scooted closer to me and I tensed up. He tried to stifle a laugh, but I heard him. He knew he made me uncomfortable, and he enjoyed it.

"I'm assuming the reason you're jumpy around me is because of the rumors." He said, as he gazed at the trees.

"I don't know. Maybe you just intimidate me. I'm just waiting for you to shove me into a locker." I wasn't as awkward as I thought I would be. My social skills aren't the best. I was sincere and confident with the words I spoke.

"Why would I want to do that, Deano?" Jeez, he wouldn't stop asking questions.

"Because, Castiel, everyone does." I shook my head, and thought about Meg. That nickname. Deano. I will never forgive her for what she did. Not only did she tell the entire school I was gay, but she paid a guy to say I tried for force myself on him, and I never did. For an entire year, people shoved me in the hallway, muttering 'fag' 'queer' 'worthless' 'waste of oxygen' in my direction, and it hasn't stopped. "I'm just used to everyone hating me."

"Okay, first of all, Castiel is too formal. A nickname will be sufficient. Second of all, what, because you're gay? Why should anyone else care how you live your life?"

"Believe me, if I knew, I would be so much happier than I am right now." Realization struck me, as I remember I had only met this boy today. "Why the hell am I even telling you this? I hardly know you."

His smile faltered, and we sat quietly for a few minutes. "What would you like to know, Blondie?"

I began to wonder, do I even want to know him. Those rumors, I still didn't know which of them were true. I guess you shouldn't trust something unless it comes from the horse's mouth.

"The basics. Full name, birthday, favorite color, music artis-" I was interrupted by the alarm on my watch, reminding me that the lunch break was almost over.

"Crap," I exclaimed. "We better get back." I began to stand, but Cas grabbed my arm and pulled me back down. He snatched a pen from his bag and scribbled a series of numbers, I assumed his phone number, on my hand and said, "Text me later, and we'll finish this conversation another time." He smiled at me. A real genuine smile, not a cocky one, but a real one.

"Alright, Cas. I'll talk to you later."

I burst into a jog, trying to get back to the school as quick as possible, but in the distance, I heard Cas say, "Y'know, considering you're a nerd, you're pretty cool."

I'm pretty sure I had a grin plastered on my face for the rest of the day.