Found and Lost

(Hey uh yeah I completely forgot that I already made it to the ski lodge so replace "cabin" with "ski lodge" in the last chapter ok)

I clench to my left side as it starts to become sore due to the fast running I'm doing. Carlos is running by my side, his panting intense as his large feet stomp into the cracked dirt and dehydrated grass beneath us. In front of us ran Luke, holding a something-gauge shotgun.

"Wait!" I call out, skidding to a forceful stop. Carlos stops as well, looking over at me with much curiosity. "What?! We have to keep goin'!" Luke calls out, slowing down to a walk, but continuing to travel forwards. "This is where we were when he.. ran off." I shuddered at the word choice, feeling guilty for describing his disappearance as if he were a dog that escaped his leash. Luke immediately came to a halt, spinning around and staring at me. The intimidating glare I received from my lover made me grip onto the handle of my hammer that was my choice of weaponry tighter, and I purse my lips. "Are you sure, Clem?" I hear Carlos say, crossing his arms across his chest. That must be his signature pose. I nod slowly.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Luke asks enthusiastically, facing the direction of the trees other than Carlos and me. "He could be anywhere, Luke. Do you really expect us to look through this entire forest to find a man who could return to the lodge at any time? What does he owe to you, Luke? Is it really worth it?" Carlos sprung a series of thoughtful questions, catching Luke off-guard. "He.. He's my best friend, Carlos. All I have left from before hell seeped up from the pits of the planet and became a reality." His words struck me like a blade, and my expression crumbles to a frown. Is he that frustrated with me whenever it wasn't even my fault? He has been acting different towards me lately, even before the Nick incident. Is it because of what happened on the balcony? I thought he would have gotten over it by now.

Silence still surrounded our miniature group, making everything seem surreal. I purse my lips and kick at a small rock that was engraved into the dirt, and I heave out a sigh. "Look, you can't blame this on me, okay?" I grit my teeth together, refusing to look up. "Who said anybody was blaming anyone? We're just in a tough spot here, and-" Luke tries to speak an explanation, but I cut him off. "No. Do NOT pull that. We both know that you think it's MY fault. I can feel the tensity from you in the atmosphere, Luke. You can't pull that sh*t!" I yell at him, and I hear Carlos glaring at him. I guess he agrees with me. "She's right, Luke. It's Nick's fault for leaving Clem behind. Are you really going to play the blame game?" Carlos scratches his stubble and raises a bushy eyebrow at the younger boy.

Quickly changing the subject, Luke asked "What do we do now? We can't just sit here." I shrugged, stumped from giving any options. "Fine then." Luke responds to the silence he received from Carlos and I. "We go back to the ski lodge and wait for him to somehow show up." Luke turns away and begins walking from the direction we once came from.

"Well, that was easy.." I heard Carlos whisper hoarsely beside me, and he starts strutting towards Luke. "He probably just doesn't want to argue. Give him some time. He lost his best friend," I abruptly whisper to him, raising my eyebrow as I watch Luke speed up in front of us. I attempt to follow, but a feeling of guilt showers over me as I realize we are about to leave Nick behind, even though he could make his way to the lodge himself. I stand there for a moment, imprinting my shoe prints into the dirt until Luke and Carlos are barely in view. I squint my eyes, trying to make out their figures through the lush green horizon. This was my chance.

I turn my direction to face west. I close my eyes tightly, trying to remember everything that happened once Nick ran off and went missing. I visualize the walker faces, the graceful shaking my body performed out of fear, and most of all Nick's body moving swiftly between the decaying bodies. I remember the sound of his tromping footsteps.