Chapter 5: Big Brother Alex

"Doesn't look like you caught a fever from your injury. The bruise looked pretty nasty. Just wanted to make sure. Here. Before it gets cold."

He hands me the tray, placing it on my lap. Just regular beef stew with a side of bread and apple sause. I can't tell if it's good or bad, I just swallow everything down without thinking.

"Whoa there! No need to eat so fast. We have all the time in the world."

"It's all the same once it's in the stomach."

"Yeah...but your body won't break it down as easily if you eat too much at once. You'll get more energy from it if you eat it slowly. Just trust me, 'kay?"

I nod my head and eat a bit slower. I'll have to test out if what he's saying or not is true.

"Why do you always eat so fast though?"

I bite off a small chuck off bread, chewing it longer than usual. I have to control myself not to eat so fast. I'm not used to it so it's stressing me a bit. I swallow before answering.

"To not waste time. Time I could be using to do other productive actions."

"Like what?"

"Training, going out to the fields and observing the others, creating training routines. Eating just gets in the way."

I hate the texture of the applesauce, but it's still food, so I eat it. I'm at least allowed to just swallow this, right? Not much chewing to be done. I take it in, spoonful by spoonful, finishing it off quickly. He surprises me by placing his hand on my head. I look up at him. He's smiling but there's a worried look in his eyes.

"We'll work hard together from now on."

It feels like he's talking more to himself them me. He removes his hand and stands up, heading towards the door.

"Remember to finish the rest off. The men in the kitchen are working hard to get us good food."

I nod my head. He smiles, opening the door and taking a step out, "I'll be back for the tray later. Just rest for today. We'll talk more tomorrow when you wake up."

"Won't you be busy training the others?"

"I'll let Jared handle it. He needs to learn to take charge once in a while."

He leaves, closing the door before I can say anything else. I finished the rest, placing the tray on the nightstand again. It feels horibble not being able to do anything besides sleeping, but I can't disobey a superior's orders. If putting up with them is what it takes to allow me to get closer to Adira's kidnappers, then so be it. She's the only thing in this world I'd hate to lose... She might already be dead... Even so, if there's a small chance, I'll take it!

I get up to turn the lights off, forcing my body to sleep a couple hours more. Although, under these warms some-what heavy sheets, I found it easier than I has though.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

"Rise and shine, Henry!"

I hardly have time to think as the sheets are pulled off me, leaving me out in the cold. I was about to yell at Alex, but hushed myself before I could say anything and got out of bed quickly, standing up straight and giving him his respected salute.

"Good morning, Alex!"

"Oh come on! You don't have to be so stiff anymore!"

He hooked his arm around my neck in a joking manner, but I've gotten so used to being somewhat formal, I'm almost scared of the consequences for acting too out of order. And just like that I'm picked up and hung over Alex's shoulder. I'm to flustered by all this sudden friendliness, I can't seem to think straight! He's just doing what he wants! I don't know what he's thinking!

He starts heading towards the door. He's in casual clothes but I'm still in my nightwear.

"P-permission to speak, Alex!?" My voice was quiet and raised suddenly. I'm just trying to keep out of trouble. What if they decide to throw me out if I don't behave?

"I'd told you, you can quit with the formalities. I'm your brother now. Your-bro-ther. Not your superior. We're standing on equal ground now."

"...Okay." I relax, feeling the stiffness wearing off. "Then, can I please change first? I feel uncomfortable wearing my nightwear."

"And I have the perfect solution for that! Just come along with me quick."

"Then...can you at least put me down?" I think the other's would find it weird if the lieutenant was carrying a child around.

"No way. It feels nice being about to carry you. You're finally being agreeable after being so distant all this time."

"But it's weird." I mumble

"At least allow me this much as your brother. I'll put you down once we get where we're headed. And I think the other's would be envious if they saw."

He grins mischievously. I don't think I'll be able to win against him. This 'brother' thing is going to need some getting used to, but... it doesn't feels so bad. "...Don't drop me."

He chuckles and leaves the room, heading left down the narrow hall.