Chapter 7: Back To Reality

Uhhh, my head hurts. It's too bright in the room. It doesn't even look like the lights are on. Hm? Turning my head to the side, I see Alex rested on the side of my bed...A nursing bed...A nursing bed?

I hear the door open and see Ed appear.

"Ah. You're wake. I better let Alex know, but it seems he's worn himself out."

I don't think I've ever seen him sleeping. He always wakes up before me and goes to bed after me. I know being a leader can be tough, but that's part of why they're leaders, right? Cause they have the endurance for it. But, he is human, after all. I stare at Alex for a bit before looking over at Ed.

"Eetvartti. Where is this?"

"This is my workplace station. It's right next door to where we met."

"Why am I here?"

"Hm? You don't remember?"

"Alex brought me here and introduce me to you. Then..." Then what?

"Ow! My head." I wince and press my lower palm to my forehead, massaging it. I have a massive headache. I can hardly think.

"Easy now. You don't have to force yourself. Would you like to rest a bit more?"

I feel Alex shift and look over. He yawns and sitting up and stretching his hands up.

"Look who's finally awake. The kid woke up before you."

Alex sees me and relaxes his arms, looking at me worryingly, sitting at the edge of his seat.

"Henri! How are you feeling?"

"My body feels heavy from all this constant sleeping and I have a horrible headache. Besides that, nothing else."

It feels refreshing, able to complain so openly.

"That's it? Nothing else?"

I shake my head. He sits back in his chair with a sigh of relief.

"Truth is, I almost got a heart attack when you fainted back there. Thank goodness you were still breathing and Ed was here. I wouldn't have know what to do by myself. I don't have experience with kids."

Did I worry him that much?

"Sorry for causing trouble again."

"It's okay now. You're awake...I'll be back." He stands up without another word but I could have sworn I saw him tearing up. I look back up at Ed.

"Excuse me,...what's this about me fainting?"

"...I didn't want to put any more stress on you, but loud-mouth spilled the beans. It seems to be connected to your headache. I'm actually a psychiatrist here. I do my best to keep the men here stay clear headed. It's hard to keep sane with the things they see out there, but they do it so others don't have to."

Half way through he turned his head towards the window, having a far off look in his eyes, but soon turned to look at me again.

"You were kicking and screaming at us to 'Let her go' and for someone to help but then you suddenly got quiet and passed out in Alex's arms. He was also panicking. I had to calm him down first else he'd probably pass out too."

My head started pulsing hard again. It feels like it's splitting apart!

"Herni." He calls out my name calmly, bending down towards me to tugs my face close to his. His eyes are a light icy color. They're clear and calming.

"Feel better?"

"Hm?...Yeah. Thank you. My head hurts less then a second ago, but it doest feel like it'll be going away soon."

"Has this happened before?"

"Not that I can remember."

"Right?" He gives a small chuckle, as if he had just asked a stupid question. "Either way, you better get changed and go eat. You haven't eaten today right?"

As if on queue, my stomach rumbled. Ed heads behind the curtain, and comes back placeing clothes on my lap. "Here. These are yours. Alex told me to go and get them at the nearby town late last night. I wondered what he was up to, getting my to buy child size clothes. Shoes, shirt, socks, everything."

I stare down at the clothes, pinching the shirt and rubbing the material softly. It's been a while since I've worn something besides my uniform. And they look fit for a kid my age. Not at all like what I used to wear.

"He looked...like he was about to cry."

"Yeah, but that's another story." He walked off and sat back at a counter, sitting back with a book in his hand. "Do what you want."

Everyone seems so laid back. Can't tell if that's good or bad. Well, they all seem like a determined enough group. I spead the shirt in the air. I never imagined I'd wear this type of clothes. They're normal. Not some fancy formal attire. I place the shirt down. I'm not sure what to do with it yet. So many things have changed, all too quick... But I guess since he did go through the trouble... It should be fine, right? Alex got them especially for me. It'd be a shame not to use them. The shirt is a dark blue long sleeve. It's almost summer but it's still cold around here. There's also a zip-up light blue sweater, jeans, and socks. Jeans...I've always wanted to know what they felt like. I change quickly, not wanting to feel the chill that hung in the air. I step down from the bed, putting the jeans on. They feel a little stiff compared to formal pants. It's really interesting. Beside my shoes are a pair of sneakers. I look over at Ed.

"These sneakers..."

He looks over, "Hm? Yeah. Those are yours too. You look your age now, in those clothes. It's kinda depressing to see you in those other clothes. Someone your age shouldn't have to wear those. But how are the new clothes? I got the right size, right?"

I move my arms around, finding it easy to move in like my training uniform, but just a bit bulkier, but still quite comfortable. I never thought I'd ever be able wear something like this. I guess I'm a regular kid as well huh?