Chapter one: Choices

My heart is pounding, my breathing unsteady. I am worried. My fears are all built up inside and I am about to make my choice. This will either ruin me or make me a success; I cannot exceed the importance of this choice.

“Jeanine Matthews” a stern voice calls.

I take a deep breath and reluctantly walk up to the stage, my hands are shaking and I know I must contain my nerves. In front of me there are five bowls, each one representing a faction.

It is time to make my decision.

I think back to my aptitude test and the results I received. It haunts me to believe that my test results came back inconclusive, which in other words mean that I have an aptitude for more than one faction.

Erudite, Amity and Dauntless. Those are the possible factions I would be best suited for but I already know where I belong. I look to my left where I see a stocky built dauntless man holding a knife in which I must use to show my allegiance to the faction I choose. I look up at him and nervously smile, he hands me the knife and I hold out my hand, still shaking with terror at the importance of the moment. Before I make my decision final I look around the room to see hundreds of 16 year olds staring at me waiting to see my choice. Without taking another second to think about what I’m about to do, I draw the knife and slice the palm of my hand. Instantaneously I get greeted with immense and searing pain, which brings tears to my eyes. Placing my hand over one of the bowls I let my blood flow onto its contents and look up. My decision has been made and my blood now marks my allegiance to my chosen faction.

Erudite is where I will stay.