Chapter 11

Dr. Leo rubbed his sleepy eyes as he sat opposite Junayd. In the middle of the night, the two friends shared a bottle of rum in the office.

"I can't believe you're going through with this? It's absolute madness. And why did you tell her about Azra?"

"What can I do," Junayd argued. "She wouldn't – let it go."

The doctor tightly nodded, stroking his goatee. "Have you told her about...?"

"She's not ready for that yet," Junayd said, shaking his head. "He's a changed man and if Shahnaz knew what he's become, I don't think she could take it." He laughed, cupping the nape of his neck. "Why do you think I RAN AWAY in the first place?"

"Junayd, you can't hide these facts from her because she'll find out what exactly happened. Well she'll definitely know what happened from Azra."

He glanced at his hands. "I rather her sister tell her what happened because I don't have the courage to do so." He tossed the amber rum down his throat, inviting him to erase those awful memories.

Dr. Leo took the bottle away, before Junayd took drink some more.

"It's a high risk. The security in Esma City is tight. And even if you get two sisters in the same room, only the Almighty knows what could happen."

"Well they won't kill each other," Junayd assured him.

"But what if –"

Junayd abruptly stood, wiping his face. "Look I'll bring Shahnaz back safe and sound. I'm not letting her out of my sight... again."

On the lonely plains of the desert, the jeep roared towards the rising dawn, uplifting the dust, churning at the wheels. As the sky lightened, so did Shahnaz's hope of seeing her Azra. What's she like? She must be twenty three by now. Is she happy?

"I don't even know what to say to her?"

"How about Salaam?" he said, tight lipped. Her enigmatic smile and raised eyebrow got his attention.

"It's sad that I didn't get to see her grow up. But once we meet we can try, you know, try to be a family. What's she like?"

He briefly closed his eyes, trying not to scream. "You'll find out when we get there."

"Oh," she said, noticing how harsh his words sounded. "And why is he coming along?"

With a fleeting look behind his seat, Junayd tilted his head. "Ketchup knows the City like the back of his hands. He can get us in and out."

"And," Ketchup began, sitting up by the mention of his name, poking his head between the two, "I need to catch up with a few girls." He peered at Shahnaz, bouncing his flirty eyebrows. "Hey, how you doing?"

"Quit it," Junayd spoke firmly. "Which way do we need to turn?"

"You got to ditch the jeep and walk half a mile towards the City."

"What? Since when did THAT happen?"

"Hey," Ketchup raised his hands in offence, "security is tight these days, what with Crawlers lurking about."

"What's the difference between the two places?" Shahnaz asked, only to be greeted by silence, as she looked up to see the two stare at her in complete disbelief. "What did I say?"

"Look darling," Ketchup toyed. "Esma City is a place for the rich and famous. Imagine the neon lights of Las Vegas meeting the Russian Army."

Junayd huffed. "I've got it covered. Just like last time I had fake paper work."

"Yeah, but what about her?" Ketchup thought a moment. "I'll take her through the underground."

"No," Junayd protested. "We need to stick together."

"Right so people will get well suspicious that three outsiders want to get in." Ketchup slow clapped, smirking.

"How long till we get there?" She asked, moving forward.

"Soon," Junayd mumbled, stepping onto the gad peddle.

Taking young Ketchup's advice, the jeep was stationed behind a boulder just half a mile away from Esma City. By mid afternoon they had arrived just outside, and like Obsidian Valley, the City had its own protective dome, airtight and impenetrable.

Planted in their ears were tiny plugs of radio communication, once the gas masks came to play.

Junayd grabbed a bag and a folder. "Right Ketchup, you guard her with your life?"

"Man I didn't know you had feelings for her. You should have told me sooner. I'd have backed off."

Shahnaz's eyebrows rose as she blushed slightly. Junayd smacked the folder behind Ketchup's ear.

"Don't be an idiot."

Ketchup choked down his laugh, ushering Shahnaz to the side. Holding the gas mask into position, she turned to see Junayd quickly look away from her, fiddling with the strap on bag. She listened to Ketchup's instructions but her eyes traced back to Junayd.

"Will he be ok?" she asked, interrupting his mid sentence instruction.

A monkey like grin spread like jam over the youth's face. "Your boyfriend will be fine."

"Oh he's not my –"

"Ok doll face, deny it all you want. He'll be fine. If he can survive Vega Army's brutality then Esma City's security guards are nothing."

Ketchup began to walk until she pulled him back. She glanced at Junayd. "Thank you and be careful."

Junayd nodded, giving a meek salute signal before disappearing around the dome's circumference.

Shahnaz followed Ketchup's sauntering, all the while wishing she didn't separate from Junayd. After all he was the first human she saw, and in a way felt a connection with him.

I hope he'll be fine, she thought before disappearing down a deep hole.

A/N - Who do you think Junayd and Dr. Leo were talking about? And what do you think Azra will do when she sees Shahnaz, because Junayd knows what'll happen and it won't be pretty. And who do you think could play Ketchup?

Oh ghost readers don't hide in the shadows – hit the star and pop down a comment so I know someone is actually reading this. I want to know what my readers think. X