In Which I Eat Food

That evening, I was carefully toweling my hair dry when I heard the doorbell ring. I hung up the damp towel and plodded to the front door.

Sophie stood on my porch, jabbing the doorbell repeatedly.

"Oh," she blinked her large brown eyes at me. "Auntie was wondering if you wanted to come over for dinner again tonight."

I glanced down at the pajamas I was currently wearing, and contemplated the idea.

"Sure," I told her. "Just let me get changed first."

"Okay," she scratched the bridge of her nose. "I'll tell them." She turned around, skipping in the direction of her house.

I smiled to myself. I loved kids.

~~~

I sat in the same seat at the same bustling table from last night.

"So," I spoke over the constant bickering of the two children. "Joseph is a baker, but what do you do?" I asked Genevieve.

"I'm a writer," she answered. "I write historical and contemporary novels."

"Okay." I covered my confusion with a smile. "So you write books."

Genevieve laughed. "Yes, I write books."

"Auntie's famous." Grant cut in.

"Oh," I smiled at him. "Is that so?"

Genevieve touseled his hair. "I'm not very famous," she explained. " I only have a few avid readers, and the press doesn't follow me every step I take."

Grant shook his head. "No, you're famous. Unca said so!"

Sophie nodded her head in agreement. "Yeah!"

Genevieve stuck her tongue out at her husband. "Thanks."

"No problem, babe." Joseph replied. He turned his attention back to me. "When did you decide to become a jockey?"

I swallowed the bite I had just taken from a warm roll before replying. "I love horses." I smiled softly. "I just... feel at peace with them."

"Following your dreams," Genevieve smiled, nudging me with her elbow. "That's always good for the soul."

I nodded, smiling. "I love it."

We all shared a smile.

The last line was sooooooo cheesey. Oh well. I liked it. I hope you enjoyed it! So, for now, adios!