The Silhouette

I was 15 years old. My best friend Anthony, wanted me to come over for the night, since his parents would gone for the weekend. I rode my bike over and parked in his back yard and let myself in through the back door. We basically played every video game he had, from fifa all the way to call of duty, with popcorn and other junk food spilled out over the floor. As the night progressed we went from video games To watching half a movie and getting bored to doing pFirst picture is so true rank calls close to 10 o clock at night. Anthony made a few calls to different pizza places, when it was my turn I just I dialled a few random numbers and hoped to get someone at there house. On say my 4th attempt, I finally reached somebody, a guy with a deep and rough voice picked up answering with a ya instead of a hello, Anthony's laughing in the background made me stumble with my words mid sentence ultimately cracking up into laughter. I had never done a prank calls so I sucked at it. The guy on the other end was silent, I regained a straight face and tried to continue with the call, it went something like this "a sir would it be alright if I borrowed a wheel from your car?" - "What's your name kid?" -"my name is Bob"- "really? Are you sure it's not Anthony?". It hit me like a brick. I looked up at Anthony, whose face was noticeably full of fear. I immediately hung up the phone not wanting to be on the line with who ever that was for another second. "Anthony who the he'll was that?" I asked him. " I... I don't know?" he told me. "Does your caller id display your information or something?". " no it shows my dads name. We hoped on the computer and did a little research trying to figure out how it was possible to get someone's name through there phone number. It didn't make sense how he could get Anthony's name so quickly. He was way too young to be on any of them personal information sharing websites. We ended up putting a question on Yahoo answers since nobody has a similar experience. The question turned up no answers. I suggested that he call his dad, but he said he wasn't supposed to have anyone over for the weekend, so be didn't want to call. We planned on sleeping in the living room so we just resumed watching the movie that we hadn't finished from earlier. Right after the phone call had left my mind, me and Anthony looked at each other when we heard footsteps out on the front porch and then the door knobs to the front door twisting, it was only able to turn half way before the lock restricted it. Anthony Turned off the tv, and went of the window to see who it was, I spread the blinds open, there was a tall guy standing outside, he noticed the blinds moving, and turned to look at me, I practically threw the blinds back into place. Me and Anthony hid in the kitchen listening for any more noises, we heard the sound of the gate to the back yard opening as it was right outside the kitchen window. "God dam it!" I said " I forgot to shut the back door. Anthony urged me to run and shut it, I made it to the hallway of the back door and froze, there was a silloete standing right out the back door, I don't think he noticed me but he was surly looking into the house, he pushed open the door and stepped inside, I tip toed to the kitchen, and motioned for Anthony to follow me upstairs. We made it to his room quietly as possible pulling the doors shut to avoid making any noise. We crawled under his bed he has covers blocking the ends of the bed so you couldn't see any thing under it unless you actually moved it. The doors all down stairs opened, each one getting closer to the stairs, thumps finally began up the stairs, and he was riding outside the door now, the door to the room opened * long slow door creaking* I could Anthony's breathing, I was too loud, footsteps moved over to the closet, and the closet opened, I could hear the coat hangers being moved around as the fabric of the coats and jackets rubbed against each other. Footsteps moved over to the bed and stopped, I felt like my heart was about to explode out of my chest, Anthony's breathing was still too loud, I had to cover his mouth with my hand. Nothing but silentness in the room now, we waited still for so long, I almost thought he wasn't in the room anymore, I moved my hand away from Anthony's mouth, and whispered in his ear, "you think we can make a run for it?" he was about to answer, when the most disturbing memory haunting scream I ever heard filled my ears as Anthony was seemingly dragged out from under the bed "agghhhhhh!!' I rapt crawled out and saw him struggling with the man, I desperately looked around for anything to use as I weapon I settled for a screwdriver sitting on his night stand, I hurried over to the man and drove the screwdriver into his back, he let go of Anthony as he let out a scream of ageny, this gave us time to get the hell out of the house, running on to the road would give away our position too easily it would take too long to get to his neighbours house instead we dove for the tree line and took cover behind a Bush watching the house, the back door opened as the man stepped out side looking around the back yard, he then looked out to the woods, I felt his eyes pass me as he scanned through the tree line, it seemed it was too dark for him to see us, then he turned his head back in our direction, we ducking down behind the bush, he was approaching us fast "dude get we got to run!" I said, we ran through the woods with leaves crunching under us giving away course position, then Anthony tripped over something so I crouched down beside him hoping we had run far enough not even 20 seconds later, on coming Footsteps came from the direction we just ran from, they slowed down only 2 trees away from us. We lay face down in the leaves and then moments later the footsteps take off in another direction, we waited until we could no longer hear them and took off in the direction of the house. While running over the sounds of leaves crunching and my heavy breathing I could swear I heard leaves crunching from behind us, we finally made it back to his back yard in to his house and remembered to shut the door. We were now able to call the police, Anthony stayed on the line with them while I patrolled the back window making sure nobody came back, I was so dark, I couldn't see a thing, so I did something that seems stupid today, I turned on his back yard light, and immediately in the distance I over by the woods I saw him standing by a big tree he turned off back into the woods and vanished, that was the last time me or Anthony ever saw him.

I would be lying if I told you we head the occasional knocks on the Windows or something clíche, but no that was it. 5 Years have passed and nothing has changed, do I wonder if it was some how linked to the prank calls, maybe, does it make sense? Not really. But yeah that's the story of me and my best friend Anthony almost died during a break in.