Mattie

Recap

Later after many games sessions of kings and what-not together, we befriended each other but Matt, no matter how funny he was, he always remained at an emotionally distant level - reserved, for the lack of a better word. I thought time would change him and he would be more at ease but that didn't happen and in the end, the curiosity brimming since the day one got the best of me and then I pursued a mission to get to know him better. No, I am not nosey or snoopy but I am a writer and I need inspiration. This comes from stories and stories come from people. Though this was late after I first messaged him on his number and that too was to inquire this gentleman with unruly dark hair and a bit of excessive fat on his belly about the institution we both attended after college for extra help.

From this point onward, Matt started loosening up. I would admit, it wasn't the type I preferred but it was a start. The awkwardness took a steep decline; soon we found comfort within each other's presence. His nature didn't change much. He was still the distant, funny guy but the now the jokes were a bit more casual. Then, sometimes it was okay to make fun of each other too.

That's about all I knew of Matt. I got to knew a little bit more during the dance practices that began for the first bonfire of the college years, but it was only as tiny as the fact that he knows how to move that ass. I know, I know. That's mostly what girls should know how to do it but Matt can do it better than some girls I know and still manages to look manly.

Despite all this, Matt was still pretty much a stranger as you can judge by the lack of content in his character's chapter. However, this changed and so will the content of this chapter. As the exams grew closer, so did the bond between us. We started going to classes together, attended labs together and even studied in library together. Yes, you got that right, Jake accompanied us too. It was this time that I realized this guy could do more than just make you laugh - he could make you understand something like Physics very easily but it's safe to say that I was shy and awkward and didn't find the guts in me to ask him questions. Not many, at least. You guessed it right though, these group studying sessions never worked out really.

Vacations started and we hardly talked or saw each other during this time but when second year of A levels started and so did the jokes about me being an egg. I'm sorry Matt, I love you and you're like a brother to me and all but DUDE, I hate you for this. I still don't get how I resemble to an egg. Like I am not fried or boiled or served on a plate, so can we please drop this now? I remember how they made sure to scare me with their fake plan of throwing eggs at me on my birthday. Regardless of the fact that you're no gentleman if you hit a girl but you know, that didn't stop him and the others. It's an understatement to say that it was a relief, that this slipped from their mind. Matt. however, was nice enough to write me the sweetest wish on my birthday that I still have in my phone and I read it usually when I am low.

Wait, I kind of fast forwarded there. I skipped the whole of the second year. That is when we began to grew close. First it was the Jake and Aria situation, Jake was in terrible condition and it was inevitable for him to get sucked in this quicksand-like mess and hurt himself further. This is when Matt and I put our heads together and decided to pull him out before he got sucked in. What motivated us was the tears in our friend's eyes that we had the misfortune to witness. All year around, that somewhat became our goal - to keep Jake safe and happy, to help him move on and to change him to grow stronger. Second came the biology class which was surprisingly right after these sentimental sessions. Fortunately so, we became the trio that helped, studied and stuck together throughout the days of this whole year. One of the most cherished and most memorable time, if you would ask me but as I paint a picture so perfect, I must make the outline clear and make awareness that it wasn't just about that perfect after all.

Maybe it had a lot to do with the fact that Matt and I still nowhere being close and the fact that college ended and somewhat this trio did too. After all, nothing does last forever.