Chapter 1

"Lexi!"

I groaned, stirring, slowly sitting up. "Whadayuwant Ginger?"

My little sister started giggling. "It's your birthday, remember?"

I yawned. "Oh yeah." I climbed down from my loft bed and half-crawled half-walked to the bathroom. I applied mascara and blush. Looking at myself in the mirror, I cringed. My sandy blonde hair was tossed and twisted like a mini tornado had passed over it. My grey eyes looked absolutely terrifying. My fingers even looked horrendous.

I sighed. My sister was about to bust open the door. 3... 2... 1...

The door busted opened. "Lexi, hurry up! C'mon!"

She tugged me down the stairs and squealed with delight at least 3 times. I was beginning to get annoyed, but I didn't show it.

When we reached the bottom of the stairs, something hit me, a feeling that something was wrong. I grabbed Ginger's hand and held her back. "Wha-"

I put my hand over her mouth. "Shh!"

Her eyes flew opened, wide and frightened. I slowly removed my hand from her mouth, cautious, prepared to reapply it. She seemed okay for now, so I crept forward to see into the den. Mom and Dad where sitting on the couch, huddled together, gagged and tied to the mantle behind the couch. A man dressed in black had a gun and was pointing it right at Dad. I screamed and he turned to look at me, but I must've triggered a reflex, because right then the gun fired.

"No!" I screamed. I curled my hands into fists, and suddenly I smelled smoke. I looked down at my hands and screamed again.

Electricity was flowing from finger to finger.

The gunman fired again , this time at my mom. I curled my fingers into a fist again, but this time, the electricity shot from my fist right at him. I uncurled my hands slowly and even more electricity was let loose. Finally I dropped to one knee, exhausted suddenly.

The man stood before me, twitching awkwardly, face contorted with pain. Eventually he dropped like a stone flat on the ground.

I turned towards the stairs. Ginger stood there with a terrified expression. "Wha- What just happened?"

I looked down at my hands, now electricity-free. "I don't know, Ginger."