05 | abusive

TRANSCRIPT 3:

INT. THE POLICE ROOM – DAY

Detective Carolyn Philips and Officer Dawn Harley are going through Janice Nelson's social media to find any clues. *Social media is usually one of the first things that police officers use in a murder case.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Have you found anything regarding Miss Nelson, Officer Harley?

OFFICER DAWN HARLEY: Yes actually. It seems that she and Mr Barnes had broken up several days prior to Miss Nelson's death.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: It seems strange for Mr Barnes to have attended the party if they had broken up a few days before. Perhaps he had broken in?

OFFICER HARLEY: [nods] That is certainly a possibility. Indeed, there were make some marks on the bathroom window, a sign of a struggle.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Seems possible. Was there anything suggesting that their relationship was not as it should be?

OFFICER HARLEY: Sorry?

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Anything to indicate that perhaps Carl had a motive to kill Janice? Anything out of the ordinary?

OFFICER HARLEY: Well, it seems while there is no physical abuse, Mr Barnes has called Miss Nelson a number of vulgar names as seen in this text [hands her the phone]

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Very vulgar language indeed. Was this during or after their relationship?

OFFICER HARLEY: Seems to be after. If they broke up on the 7th they is. This is addressed as the 9th of October.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: [eyes widen and pauses] It seems that they did not part on happy terms then. [looks back at the phone] There has been no knowledge of Mr Barnes' movements after their break up.

OFFICER HARLEY: The circumstances are quite suspicious.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Indeed.

OFFICER HARLEY: Has he had a past of abusive relationships?

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: No, it doesn't seem so. No run ins with the law or policies either, I don't think.

OFFICER HARLEY: Interesting.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Oh wait. He copped a speeding fine a few years back, mouthed off to some police officers... He doesn't seem to be a very nice man.

OFFICER HARLEY: Well what can you expect from someone like him?

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Indeed. Very rude and aggressive. He also has had some past history with violence. Very reckless.

OFFICER HARLEY: Perhaps we should bring him into interrogation after we have acquired more evidence.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Indeed, I will do that.

OFFICER HARLEY: Wait there's more!

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Oh?

OFFICER HARLEY: Look at this. He sent her a phone call - it went straight to voicemail. Listen.

Detective Philips sits back down and both of them listen intently to the voice recording. They both sit there stunned when it is over.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: This man does seem to be quite a violent man.

OFFICER HARLEY: There was no bruises or marks on Miss Nelson's body though. Aside from those that were present on her body at the time of death. I mean, none that seemed to be inflicted from several days ago. They all seemed fresh marks.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Still. We can't rule out the possibility. I'll get into contact with him.

OFFICER HARLEY: Good luck.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Thanks. [with a grim smile on his face] I'm gonna need it if this man is anything like those texts. Especially that voicemail.

The police officer and the detective part ways after bidding goodbye to each other.

***

INT. THE FORENSIC SCIENCE LAB – DAY (CONT.)

Dr Lilian Walter is examining and analysing the body of the deceased to find out more clues to help in the investigation. She is currently reporting her findings to Detective Carolyn Philips.

DR WALTER: There seems to be a mark on the victim's right cheek, a clear indication that the murderer is left handed.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: [looks down at her notes] Yes that's right, it matches up. Carl Barnes is a left hander.

DR WALTER: There is also substantial evidence to indicate that there was quite a struggle. Miss Nelson's arms were scratched and there is some blood which is not hers - obviously the killer's.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: She must have put up quite a fight.

DR WALTER: Yes, that's true. [chuckles lightly] Well what do you expect? The girl was in karate for several years. She certainty knew how to fight back.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Mr Barnes was also quite a capable and skilled fighter.

DR WALTER: Bad history perhaps? Gotten into the wrong crowd?

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Perhaps. He does seem to like swearing quite a lot - lots of vulgar language. Janice was - or at least seemed to be - the complete opposite of him.

DR WALTER: [with a grim smile] Well you know what they say. That opposites attract attract each other.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Indeed. In one of the texts I read, Mr Barnes said, and I quote "if you tell this to anyone, I will strangle you to death." Miss Nelson's injuries also extended to her neck where there were strangling marks. It seems that Carl does take on to his word.

DR WALTER: [eyes widen] Well, that is quite violent indeed. He certainly keeps to his promises - and threats.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Yes, it sounds terrible. Mr Barnes has had a past of reckless behaviour as well as a one punch attack that nearly resulted in someone's death. Some guy named Jamie Maddox. When he was about eight as well.

DR WALTER: [shakes head] Terrible.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: I know. Is it safe to assume that Mr Barnes is at fault?

DR WALTER: The results from the fingerprint marking and DNA testing from the blood have not come back yet. It still needs a few days to process and then we'll have more of an indication of who is the murderer. However, it seems highly unlikely that anyone else is the killer.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: Wait. Does it seem like he had an accomplice or...?

DR WALTER: This seems to be a one man job. Unless if one of them stood back and did nothing. But right now, that seems unlikely.

DETECTIVE PHILIPS: [nodding] Ok. I shall question Carl Barnes about this and his involvement some time tomorrow.

Do you guys think Carl is the killer?
Please show your support by voting and commenting!!