Five

Dillon waves his hand in front of mine. "So, you like Shawn?" He asks taking sips of his drink.

"No." Just I because stare at some boy doesn't mean I like him. "Just curious."

"Well what do you want to know?"

I cross my arms and look out the window, the grey clouds start to form. "Uhm."

"Why do people say he's so mean? He's only been in our school for two days." I mention. It's not right to judge somebody just by the way they hold their head low under the hood of their sweaters.

"He has a reputation." Dillon tells me. "He, well, there's a lot of people who say he has a appearance that, well.. He's just his own rock star in his own world. Doesn't like to be bothered, or else he'll snap."

I want to be the one to break his shell. I'll figure out what nobody else does. And even if it hurts, even if it takes forever. I'll figure him out.

"Oh thanks. Can we go now? I think I just want to get home, it's getting dark." Dillon nods as he grabs my jacket that as hanging from chair.

He opens the door for me as I turn the corner and follow him up to the parking lot. "Thank you for today, though."

We drive in silence as he turns the music low out of nowhere.

"You're cool Taylor. I like you, you know? But I don't know, you don't like me, do you? I've always had... I see your interests are else where. And it's okay." Dillon tells me as he stops on the side of the road.

"I'm flattered but you're completely right." I whisper. I turn my gaze toward him and start to lean in.

We share a quick nothingness kiss. Something where our lips touch but there's not much passion or admiration.

"Sorry, I can't kiss you. It's not the same when the feelings aren't mutual." He tells me pouting and fiddling with his fingers that are rested on his lap.

I nod, "I mean I could kiss you. It's fine we just kissed right now. Nothing was wrong."

"But, you don't like me. It's not the same. Thank you, I think you should go now." Dillon gives me a weak smile.

I quickly pull myself in for a hug and step out the car. I wave goodbye as I stand on the porch and he drives off as soon as I open the door.

There's light strumming when I begin to walk in, I turn my head and see Shawn playing his guitar in the front.

I wonder if he's been there the whole time. Throughout me and Dillion's goodbye kiss and all that stuff.

I go upstairs to my room and open my window all the way. I hear Shawn sing,

And when I looked into your eyes
I never thought I'd say goodbye

Well, I may not know anything about Shawn but what I do know enough of, is that he's been hurt too much.

Maybe that's why he's the way he is.

112415