Chapter Twelve

After sitting for hours in her library cubicle, surrounded by texts, Daniela quickly looked at the time. It was now nearly one o'clock in the midday. She carried a last stack of the Yale researcher's books back to Eleni's check in area and let her know she was finished reviewing them.

"What time does the Gennadius Library across the street close today?" she asked casually.

"Well you may have two problems getting into that collection, Daniela," was Eleni's response.

Daniela's heart skipped a beat when she heard this.

"First you must get an approved request from Dr. Santori, as our director. And that is to show that your inquiries here have actually led you there. This is simply a formality and always very doable for our scholars. But you must also understand that the Gennadius is a Greek research facility, privately collected and donated to the Greek State. We have to respect their jurisdiction to those sources. Many of their books are manuscripts, first editions, and collectible texts relating to all characteristics of Greek history. Unfortunately, the staff that works there are all civil servants. Government employees . . . I'm sure you heard about the strike today?"

Daniela could not hide her extreme disappointment.

"But, listen Daniela. . . . Let me see what I can do. I might be able to be arranged something if you give me just a few minutes to locate Dr. Santori. I'll give him a call right now and request a clearance. But as I said, that's not really our biggest problem today. I just don't know if the Gennadius will be observing this strike or not across the street. This is Greece, "she said, picking up the phone. "You can never know about these things with any certainty."

Daniela waited breathlessly for Eleni to try and work her magic. She began to fear another barrier when she considered what might happen if they asked for her academic credentials at the other library. These had been, in reality, non-existent while staying at the American facility. And she certainly did not want to involve Nicasio in this very personal search of hers.

"If the Gennadius staff participates in the work stoppage today," she said dialing, "they'll be closed officially at one-thirty and not open at all tomorrow. And that will happen in . . ." She looked at her watch. "Yes . . . about twenty-five minutes."

"Oh Eleni . . ." Daniela's voice was now showing concern. "I'm leaving tomorrow or the next morning if our plane is allowed out. I really need to just see this one book over there before I go home. Can we really try to make this?"

Eleni paused, indicating it was doubtful. She then smiled in her familiar, home-spun way. "I'll give it my best," she said. "Normally, things don't happen so easily here. But yes . . . we'll try."

Daniela surmised Eleni's phone pick up somewhere within the facility of the compound and she greeted the director cordially. She made the request directly on Daniela's behalf and could tell from her expression that the approval was imminent. While waiting in anticipation, Daniela looked closer at the title of the mysterious Gennadius text in question as it appeared on the list. It was written in French with a publication date of 1741. The antiquated text and foreign language of the book made it all the more interesting to her.

"Thank you, Dr. Santori."

Eleni smiled, hung up the phone and told Daniela she would be allowed into their collection, should they still be open.

"Now . . . you have twenty-five minutes! Their gate, as you know, is right across the street. I'll notify them now that Dr. Santori has approved your request. Go quickly. . . just ring the bell and give your name into the microphone. I cannot guarantee they will even accept you at this late hour, but let's try!"