Chapter Fifteen

Back in the meeting with the intelligence personnel, President Williamson of the University of California Board of Directors, brought up onto the screen a new image.

"Here we see the location of the tomb and it relative environment," he said formally. "You will note the remoteness of this architectural structure."

The group looked on with silent interest.

"It was found here in Big Sur . . . up a wooded canyon of Bixby Creek. These remote cliffs are along Highway One . . . for those of you who know that scenic stretch of California highway."

The next images enlarged for the group were a series of metal objects found within the structure—the brass buttons, the bronze armor buckle and the silver Spanish coin.

"I believe I will let professor Simons . . . and his research assistant, Mr. Carvajal explain the significance of these objects to us."

He nodded to the professor to take the floor.

"From your seat, professor . . . and please be brief."

Nicasio could feel his palms developing a layer of sweat as he understood that he would probably be asked to present information as well.

The professor cleared his throat before he began with his typical lecture voice.

"Alright. Well . . . as you see before you in this enlarged photo. there are several objects. These were critical artifacts found in situ of the tholos floor which Mr. Carvajal and I discovered upon our cursory examination. If one considers that they were probably present at the assembly of the structure's remarkably constructed stones, this would logically present some indication of a relative date. This can further be considered as a sound deduction since several of the pieces you see here were found embedded deep between crevasses of the floor blocks."

"And . . . that date is, sir?" It was the DHS representative, Mr. Taylor—the casually dressed man who inquired.

The professor unexpectedly turned to Nicasio, and nodded. This surprisingly indicated that he should provide the answer. Nicasio clutched his moist hands together under the table and collected his courage. He knew he would have to project his voice and sound authoritative, as the professor had.

"Yes . . . Well . . . You see the smallest round objects there on screen . . . they are buttons."

As he began somewhat haltingly, his voice began to fade a little, along with his confidence. He swallowed, dry-mouthed, and tried to image he was only back in front of his freshman class at Cal.

"These buttons are functional . . . and are characteristically brass. They're rather typical of the fasteners found on the Spanish doublet." Looking at the blank faces around him, Nicasio continued for clarification. "That was a common over-garment worn by men during the 16th and 17th centuries."

There were a few sounds of acknowledgment from the group while he paused and took a short breath.

"This find . . . and particularly these artifacts, presented to us a generally wide window of time. However . . . the markings and shape of the buttons themselves were identified by Professor Simons to be extant during the second half of the 16th century, and partly into the next. The objects also gave us our first real indication of the only human activity we discovered surrounding the structure."

The attendees remained fixated on the images, seemingly now fascinated by their age.

Nicasio continued more assuredly. "This activity would be prior of course, by several centuries to the marijuana growers who had occupied the area upon its discovery. Several months ago. They'd been working somewhat near to the find . . . to our knowledge, had no connection to it whatsoever."