Chapter 3: Aunt Caroline

Chapter 3

*Holly's POV*

Hearing the faint singing of the birds out my window, I rub my tired eyes and get out of my new bed.

I wake up pretty early usually, but today I have to.

Mom called yesterday and said that Dad's sister, Aunt Caroline, will be here this afternoon.

Surprise!

We have a lot to do today...

***

After tidying up a bit, I decide to wake Claire up.

As I walk up the stairs, I am startled by a loud ring.

Oh... new doorbell.

Loud knocking follows.

"I'm coming!" I yell at the impatient person at the door.

I open the door and find my aunt with big bags and a cheerful smile.

"Holly!!!" Aunt Caroline embraces me and drops her bags in my arms.

"Well hello, pumpkin! How are y'all doin'? Oh you can just put that in my room, if ya don't mind! Thank you, sweet cheeks!"

"No problem." I drag the heavy bags to the guest room down the hall.

Thank goodness it isn't upstairs.

"Where's your baby sister? Claire! CLAIRE!" my father's sister yells up the stairs.

"Oh she's probably still asleep. Claire can sleep all day if somebody would let her!" I'm interrupted by a deafening whistle that I'd recognize anywhere.

My mind goes back to Aunt Caroline's farm and the loud whistle she would use to call her precious pigs to supper. But this time, the one she calls is much more of a handful than a pig. :P

"Aunt Caroline!" My little sister squeals and runs down the stairs in her sweatshirt and pajama pants.

Yep... just woke up.

"Claire!" My aunt gives her a big hug. "How are y'all liking it here?"

"Well we just got here yesterday, but I absolutely love it! Dont you, Holly?"

I nod and ask "Would you like anything to drink, Aunt Caroline?"

We all walk to the kitchen, and I fix her some water.

"Sooo... when will I get to meet y'all's new friends?"

Claire and I exchange glances.

"Well... like I said, we just got here... so we don't exactly have any yet..." Her voice trails off.

"My goodness!" Aunt Caroline shakes her head. "I come around here every year, you know! I pretty much know about everyone in this here little town! Some sweet girls! And a few handsome fella's too." She gives us a wink and I'm not exactly sure what kind of guys Aunt Caroline regards as "handsome."

I guess we will find out!

"Well there is a big bonfire thing tomorrow night and I have already told some folks we were coming! That will be a perfect opportunity to make friends!"

Aunt Caroline announces cheerfully.

"A bonfire? Will there be music?" Claire immediately asks.

Aunt Caroline places her hands on her hips.

"Of course there's music! Live music! It's bundles of fun!"

Okay. A big fire, lots of people, loud music... what could go wrong?