chapter 2

Chapter 2

I opened my eyes, waking up feeling fully rested and full of energy. I found myself with my head on Damen’s chest. Damen was also awake playing with a strand of my hair, watching me, just looking.

"Good morning," he said softly, as our eyes met.

"How long have you been up," I asked.

"I didn’t sleep," he said, "I was . . . . Watching you sleep," he added with his side smile. I laughed.

"Is it that fun to watch me sleep?"  

"Yes," he said, shadowy, soul-filled eyes meeting mine. In them you could see the love he had for me.

"Vampires sleep, right," I asked.

"I don’t need sleep.  I do it mainly to escape the sunlight."

"Does it burn you?  The way it is in movies?"

"Let’s just put it this way," Damen said, "I might not die.  What did you dream about?"  He changed the subject.

"Nothing," I answered, "I hardly dream at all." I just wanted to leave it like that- for now. I stretched my hands out, and rolled my wrists. I gasped, like a weak little girl. On the palm of my right hand was a . . . . . tattoo. He snapped his head to look at what I had gasped about. He took my hand in his and we both sat up to get a better look. I don’t really know how to describe it, it was like . . . like the bottom half of a yin and yang sign. But it was just the outline of it and inside it there was a water droplet with waves and water movement lines. It was amazing, all dark black and the coolest part was the gems. I could swear they were real. Like someone glued them to the tattoos. They shimmered on every corner, every curve and point. I loved the tattoo. I had never thought of getting on but it was magnificent. Damen put his hand out next to mine. This was the first time I had noticed it.

On the palm of his hand there was my missing part of the yin and yang sign. His half was upside down and out line like mine. His had flames that looked like real ones. Like the gems, I could have sworn they were real. The inside of it was lined with edges that looked like a burned piece of paper. I placed my hand on his and we twined our hands. I glanced up at my Damen.

"How did you get yours," I asked.

"The same way I suspect you received yours. It appeared the night after I first used my element."

"I like it," I said. Taking my hand back in my lap, I started feeling the hard, sapphire gems now inside my tan skin.

Just then Lemon meowed and jumped up to be petted. I put the tiny baby on my lap. I loved Lemon.

"So," I say, as Damen reaches over and ruffles Lemon fluffy blue fur, “what are we doing today?”

“Yesterday the healers said they wanted to check on you again before we leave, and the last blood exchange is going to be before you go to bed.”

"What time is it," I asked.

"It’s eleven at night," he said.

"Goodness," I said, "I slept all day."

“Today is the morning for me” Damen reminded me. "So let’s do this.  Let's take showers, and then go to the healer and get some lunch, and take a hike, then, go from there," he said. "Sounds good," I say.  "Is there is a hiking trail?"

"Yes," he said, "the path goes to an opening in the woods where a river runs through."  I smiled; I liked rivers. I put Lemon on my pillow and stood up.