Chapter 1: How We Met

Nyla

It's a Saturday night in March and I was sitting in my apartment on the couch alone and bored. It's been a year since I dated anyone after my ex- boyfriend Eric, who I thought I would spend my life with, left me.

When he did, I was so heartbroken and hurt. I couldn't look at men much less date them. I did everything I could to make him stay, to make things work, but I guess I wasn't good enough and it seemed he had already made up his mind on what he wanted, and I wasn't going to be the one to stop him.

So I let him go. Humiliation and betrayal were what I felt that day.

I was so in love with him, we had been together for seven years and we had been through a lot. We had met one night when I was at a restaurant alone waiting for my date, who after an hour of the agreed time called and told me that he couldn't make it.

I was dining alone when he had come over and offered me his company which I gladly accepted. We had talked and laughed the entire night and before you knew it we had exchanged numbers and were going out on our first official date.

Things had started getting serious between us, so we decided that we should start a relationship. It was exactly three months after our first date, that we said those three magical words, "I love you."

I had felt happy when he had said it, that I blurted them right back out to him. I had felt a huge weight lifted off me when I did, for I wanted to utter them for some time now.

Our relationship was going great, I thought that we had it all, that we had something real. So imagine my surprise one night when he came home with an old bitch on his arm, saying they are going to get married and I'm invited to the wedding.

He didn't offer an explanation, he didn't me tell how and when it happened and why he was leaving me. He didn't say a word.

He had me thinking that I was the problem, that I was doing something wrong and I wasn't pleasing him the way I should which was very funny, because most nights I had to get myself off sexually.

That night when he came home with his new bride to be, and had told me that they were getting married, I nearly passed out from both anger and shock. At that moment, all I could see was red and I wanted to strangle the both of them, but I couldn't find myself doing it.

I couldn't go to jail for this man since he was not worth it anymore.

So to save myself from further humiliation and hurt, I just packed my things and went to find a new apartment. I didn't go anywhere except for work after the incident happened.

If I had the option of not going to work then, I would have stayed home and mend my broken heart because I was so depressed.

Everyone had wondered what had happened to my relationship, even my best friends, but I was too embarrassed to tell them so I just lied and told them I broke it off because we weren't in a good place and we couldn't see eye to eye anymore.

It had taken me a long while to finally admit to them what happened.

Everyone who I was close with was happy that I broke things off; it showed that no one had really liked him and had seen right through his dirty ways, ways that I had never noticed.

Looking back, I now understand why we had gotten into so many fights, why we would constantly argue and be at each other throats and when he did things that were too painful to the human ear, I would forgive him like nothing happened.

I guess the saying is true, love is really blind.

Sometimes I found myself wondering if he ever came back if I would go back to him like I would always do after he hurt me.