Dhenkanal

A special place that will always be in my heart.

This place is where my father and grandfather belonged to. Though both of their jobs were transferable which means my father and mine childhood were spent at different places. But your village will always be special.

I never met my grandfather. He was called to heaven before I was born. But I always thank him for having such a great son, my father.

A small town situated in the midst of hills (or should I say on the hill) and greeneries holds memories that are precious. It is around one hour distance away from the capital, Bhubaneswar via train and 1 annd half hour through car.

I have travelled a lot through train to this place as it was more convenient and faster mode when you lived too far away where there are no Aeroplane facilities.

Dhenkanal is much well known for its "Laxmi puja". Its celebrated just after few days of Dussehra. The whole city comes alive during this time. Every place, every corner is decorated with colourful lights.

Vendors and shopkeepers offer various kinds of products for customers to buy. Many Pandals are made all over the town and Laxmi ji's idols are worshipped. It is a sight to be mesmerised to see Maa Laxmi so beautiful and be blessed.

Another important place in Dhenkanal is its beautiful King's palace situated on a small hill. The King still visits and stays at his palace from time to time. The guards are still maintaining it. Not everyone is allowed entry inside.

The people at palace had known my Cousin's family so my sister and cousins had once gained access to certain places inside Palace but I wasn't with them at that time due to School. My sister was at that time studying engineering and had visited Dhenkanal in her holidays.

I cannot remember exactly what they saw but there were many artificats.

On one eve, when I was on my vacation at Dhenkanal, me and my cousins went to the palace but we were turned back from the garden area by the staffs as that day King was arriving at any time. So as good children we returned back home but not before taking some snaps with the flowers.

The palace is at a walking distance from my cousin's home.

Beside the palace, are two important places on the hill. One is the renowned Indian Institute of Mass communication, which I had always dreamt to be my future college as a child but guess as I grew up my fascination towards Medical field grew more. And the other is the science park.

It was a must to visit Science park whenever we visited Dhenkanal as a child. My cousin's cousin, a little boy who was a regular visitor of the park since he was three or four years was known by everyone there. I tell you he is a naughty fellow but funny too.

I can never forget the time when I had witnessed birth of a hamster there. It was adorable to see the baby hamster. And I must mention that the much effort we had to do to keep the little naughty fellow from touching the baby.

Or the time when I saw the liquid nitrogen in the container and an experiment which involved a bottle filled with liquid nitrogen travelling like a rocket tied on a string. It was educational. I remember when Sir had pit a little amount of liquid nitrogen on a leaf and when touched it broke into pieces.

Or the moment when I held a white rabbit near my heart whose heart beat was faster than a helicopter. I was really scared to hold him as much as the rabbit was scared of me. Lol...
I even took some pics with it.

I cannot remember the time when we cycled and the skeleton beside us done the same. I cannot ever forget the planetary show or the valuable knowledge I got.

Dhenkanal is important for me for various reasons, another one to add on it is our house.

Whenever we travelled by train to Bhubaneswar, I would look out the window to see our house that was visible. But as the time passed, more houses were built in that area and it got hidden behind them.

We never lived in that house but I already had staked my claim on a room.

When the house was being built, I was in class one. I used to go with my Papa to the place everyday.

I still remember the time when boring was being done and the water sprinkled like rain on all of us. Or the huge boring well machine that looked like a giant to the little me.

On the day of Ghar Pratistha, me and my sis had gone earlier and was devoring the chocolates that my Mamu had brought while sitting on the roof. On that day, there was even a snake charmer. For me that was first and last show. I remember filling up water glasses and then taking the unused platic glasses back to home with me. I had a habbit that all the things that were collected could be recycled in a school project.

I love the place and the people associated with them. I treasure the memories associated.

This was not all. The place maybe small but there are more places to visit nearby which you have to find out in the next update :)

Till then have an amazing day ahead :)