00. they called her a goddess.

What a treacherous thing to believe , that a person is more than a person. ❞

- John Green, Paper Towns

+ + +

and she looks pretty in pictures,

but beyond that camera

is just another face in the crowd.

another living, breathing creature in a street full of strangers,

with a face as plain as day and eyes as dark as night.

i do not know how people

turn humans into gods

but they have done just that.

they have placed her on a pedestal,

and my throat goes dry whenever her name spills out of their lips,

and i want to scream and shout, stop, stop, stop.

stop worshipping false deities, especially one such as her.

but i am a hypocrite

for i

put my faith in her, too.

i am foolish.

she looks pretty in pictures,

but beyond that camera

is just another soul that no one truly knows -

- not even me.

+ + +

the premise of this story may be a little confusing to some, so i shall explain it further : this is a short story (well, more like a collection of free verse poems written by the protagonist), about an unnamed girl (sometimes she will be called "Stranger"), and the girl she thinks she is in love with, a girl whose name is a city (she is most usually referred to as "her", or "Girl".). this girl is everyone's favorite person - she is loved for her beauty and apparent kindness, but Stranger, whom Girl is acquainted with, knows that because of her popularity, she is only hiding behind a mask, and the true version of herself can only be revealed when there is no one else around. Stranger thinks she's got Girl all figured out, but in reality, she does not, and she will truly never know who Girl really is, no matter how close she gets to her. this façade that Girl has encased herself in will never be broken, and Stranger clandestinely knows this, but doesn't want to believe it because she thinks she can actually break down her walls.

to sum it up, this is the story of a girl experiencing a harsh heartbreak and learning to swallow her pride - a story about how people were built to fall apart, but like her, some people are just stronger and don't shatter like they should.

thank you for reading and i hope you enjoy this. <3