Chapter Eighteen

Adrian liked sex as much at the next person, but he had a feeling that the rest of the week was going to be a very interesting challenge. Between working with Varian and sleeping with River, at least he wouldn't be able to say he was bored.

After getting showered off and seeing all the other kids get home, Lake didn't arrive too much later. He didn't look that much different from River—well they had different parents, obviously, but the hair and eyes were the same, and the skin color was similar—and it was actually kind of weird, seeing another male. Seeing River at first had been weird too, though.

River and Lake sat on the floor of the living room after Lake arrived and they hugged, River poking at Lake and trying to get some sort of response. Lake seemed more than happy to pretend he didn't notice.

Everyone else, Adrian included, had found a spot on a couch or a chair. Even Varian and Nathan were in the room, both seeming pretty interested in seeing River and Lake interact. Across the room were Corin and Lex, together like they usually were despite all the arguing. Vanessa was lounging in one of the chairs with her feet hanging over the side of the arm, and she seemed to be the least fascinated with Lake.

Which wasn't a surprise. Adrian learned by then that if it didn't have to do with someone getting hurt, Vanessa wasn't interested.

"So this kid's a freshman?" Adrian asked Charlie, who'd opted to sit next to him.

She turned and nodded in response, Adrian narrowing his eyes slightly.

"Looks younger than that."

Really, Adrian wouldnt've figured Lake was a freshman. Eighth grader, at most.

"River looks younger than he is." Varian stated.

"He acts younger, too." Vanessa added in from her spot.

That part didn't really mean much, Adrian figured, though he did wonder if that meant Lake acted the same way. He nodded a little though, to Varian's comment.

"Yeah, okay. Good point. He just looks so...little."

River gave Lake a particularly hard poke, making the other Nether finally respond as he rounded and started to poke River back, making him laugh.

"You're also kinda tall, so. That might have something to do with it." Corin told Adrian, who shrugged in response.

Sure, he was tall, but still. Most people in high school didn't seem that small to him. Nether males were just...really small. Nethers in general were small. Small and terrifying.

"Compared to my father, he and I are both short." Varian chuckled. "And those two are children," he added, gesturing to River and Lake.

"Victor is disturbingly tall." Nathan said with a slight frown.

Adrian had to duck at certain times as it was, he wouldn't want to be any taller. The idea was enough to give him a headache thinking of all the things he'd inevitably walk into.

"Yes." Varian agreed.

"If height runs in your family, you'd think River would've come out a little taller." Vanessa commented to Varian.

"Nethers are small though. Apparently, even the males." Lex pointed out.

River and Lake looked up from their playing to nod at Lex's point before they went back to what they were doing, Lake pushing River down before they started pouncing on each other, River laughing the whole time.

"And apparently more interested in playing than communicating." Varian added.

"So I figure they have a similar attitude, then." Nathan commented, watching River and Lake. "Which I suppose means that we can assume that males are more playful, in general."