Touchy

Several weeks passed. Nathan was still wearing a cast on his right arm upon returning to school. Some minor injuries were still visible from the accident.

The two haven't seen each other since.

When he entered the classroom, all conversation dropped. It was first time ever he was noticed entering the room. Everyone was staring at him in silence, including Rosie.

Behind him was their homeroom teacher, Prof. Shah.

The teacher smiled at him gently as she was welcoming him back to the class.

The next day, Nathan ran into Locket while walking to school.

Locket angrily said to him not to expect anything just because of what he did, notifying him that she just gave him some time off until he returns to normal.

Nathan wasn't expecting any kind of praise anyway, even though he was slightly hoping for some. Atmosphere in the class changed. People started noticing him more.

He thought to himself how ironic it is, that the accident caused him to receive more attention. More days were passing as he removed final cast on his arm and his body rejuvenated.

As he stood in class, for first time not bent, it was obvious he was rather well-built and somewhat taller than an average guy. He caught the eye of several girls.

Third semester began. Rosie waited for Nathan on the school grounds after the bell rang and began her usual procedure.

He wasn't opposing her, but she felt a cold rush through her spine.

The atmosphere was different as well. He was looking straight into her eyes and threw her off guard, as if he was looking into her soul.

Continuing, she asked him the reason why he saved her trying to conceal her nervousness by asking in a nonchalant way, although he could sense it behind her voice.

He was mute. She asked him again, in increased anger and volume. He was still mute. She repeated even louder. Followed by a small break, he firmly said: "Because I like you."

She was completely distraught by it. Staring at him not knowing what to do, she yelled at him and hit him in the left arm.

Silva twitched a bit, since she hit the same spot where the accident occurred, as there is a small scar now. "Don't be such a weakling!" As she yelled, she had a concern look on her face, implying she wasn't planning to hit his injury.

"I'm fine, really."

"You won't be after I'm done with you."

"I'm fine with that, also. I don't need anyone else noticing me. I don't mind being bullied by you. The disturbance you were causing me can't even compare to the feeling of worthlessness and solitude I was going through each day of my life. Although I can't lie, what you were doing to me did hurt, but at least you were only one acknowledging my existence. The moments I spent with you ordering me around made me feel alive."

A single tear drop came rolling down from her right eye as she took several steps away from him. 

She exclaimed, "Get away from me... y-you... you idiot! You're a weirdo!" 

The next day when their eyes met Rosie was so surprised that she suddenly fell from the top set of stairs and hurdled on top of him. 

Realizing the position that she was in, she quickly got to her senses. "Are you alright?" Nathan asked her, offering his hand. However, she slapped his hand away as she yelled out, "Don't touch me!"