Chapter 11

"I guess that's the good part, you get to find a new dream." --Eugene Fitzherbert: Tangled

***

The little girl followed them. She could now see Jack Frost easily. None of the other adults except for Eugene and Rapunzel could see him. Eugene realized soon that no one else could see Jack, who leaned on his staff tired from his efforts to protect all of them. He took a deep breath and whispered thank you under his breath so only Jack and Rapunzel could hear.

Jack nodded.

Eugene tried to help Rapunzel again, but she screamed in pain and the guards ran over. Jack watched as the former king and the guards all stood around her. The captain frowned, "She broke a few of her ribs, it will take sometime to heal."

"But how can we move her into the palace without hurting her." Eugene asked.

"It will hurt, no matter what. If we had something to numb the pain that would be great." he looked at Eugene, "But she's been hurt for a long time, the best thing to do is take her into the palace the best we can as carefully as we can."

"I could do something." Jack Frost said. He reached out with his staff and frost covered her ribs, all around the dress. Soon the frost thickened. "It's not much but it can numb the pain a little if I keep my staff touching." he looked at Eugene, who nodded understanding. Rapunzel did too. The guard had no clue what they were deciding.

"I'll carry her." Eugene said, "Something tells me she'll be okay." He reached down and scooped her up in his arms. This time Rapunzel never screamed. She wrapped one arm around his neck and the other she used to hold the collar of his shirt. Jack followed close, his staff never leaving the spot where it touched her ribs. He smiled as he followed at Rapunzel.

When the emerged into town people gasped at the sight of there dirty new queen. Her hair, clothes, skin a mess. Many people didn't know what to think of the former king follow, holding a tired little girl while a woman followed, with a tear stained face. The guards seemed to turn the least amount of heads. The little girl lifted her head and turned to look at Jack smiling. She waved at him, and he waved back. Then he curled his hands and a snowflake appeared floating through the air and landing on her nose. She giggled and her mother looked at her confused.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine mommy." She said smiling, "thanks to a few new friends."

***

"They escaped." She said. "Thanks to that Jack Frost."

"Good, then things are going as planned, we just have to follow him to the next time gap." He smiled, "Well, one of us have to."

"What do you mean?" Gothel said, she crossed her arms.

"I'm proud to say you've been promoted from Henchwoman, to level one henchwoman." He walked away from her.

"Ha, that's where your wrong," she swept her arms behind her proudly and turned her back, "I'm no one's henchwoman. Your on your own, Boogieman." Pitch appeared in front of her making her jump back. "I hate it when you do that!" she shouted and pushed past him.

Pitch scowled, "Like it or not Gothel, I am your only chance of having your wish come true." She kept walking in away. "I understand you want to get revenge on Rapunzel, but if you walk away from me you'll never get that chance."

"I'll figure out my own way." she said waving to him, "Goodbye!"

"Not if she goes with Jack to become a Guardian." Pitch whispered.