Chapter Sixteen: A Euphoric Escape

“Tea is for women, Felix!” Goliath snapped refusing the giant mug Armadillo had tried to place in his hand. His dark eyes blazed with indignity.

“Ah, it’s just to sleep better. I know you guys don’t usually sleep well.”

He glanced toward me. Lister grumbled, “If she can fall asleep using your damn tea, then I’ll believe it.” Smugly, he crossed his arms, a confident smirk across his face.

Dill shrugged. “So, be it.” He walked over. He blew gingerly over it to cool it. Gently, he opened my mouth and tipped a mouthful of the steamy drink in.

The taste was terrible, of dirt and bitterness; it stayed in my mouth. The heat from the drink flooded my shivering body for a mere moment, before the frost settled again.

Armadillo whispered in my ear, “You have about an hour before you digest that. You’re going to feel loopy and tired. Your foot isn’t going to hurt, but you can’t walk on it. Be careful with Ace.” He brushed his fingertips over my eyelids, shutting them.

For a few moments, I stayed like that, eyes closed and breathing gently.

Dill remarked, “See, she’s already asleep. Imagine a deep rest even tied as she is.”

“Well, you Nancy boys drink up. I’m going to sleep like a real man,” Ace teased.

Creaking my eyes open slightly, I sighted Goliath gulping down the drink and Lister drinking a good amount as well. Silently, I celebrated the beginning of success.

“Ace, gag the girl.” Varick muttered sleepily. “I don’t want her screaming.”

“Ah, Varick, I heard this excellent poem that I think you would enjoy.”

“A poem?” His voice picked up. He questioned eagerly, “Whose work is it?”

“Are you familiar with the Old Era poet, Byron?” Dill replied casually.

Varick lowered his brow. “I always thought it was Bryon,” He remarked.

Masking irritation, Armadillo continued, “Whichever it is, he is one of my favorites. I thought you might enjoy his work. ‘Titan! To whose immortal…’”

Ace’s hand on my cheek tore me from the sound of Armadillo’s voice. “I’m going to miss you, you pretty thing.” Ace held up my chin. His thumb stroked my lips. As I had suspected he did not retie the gag, but dropped the cloth from his other hand.

It’s now or never, I supposed, kissing his thumb.

Frightened, he withdrew, but as I sent him a small smile, he inched closer. “Natalie…” He whispered. “Felix…if he finds out…I can’t. We shouldn’t.”

I shushed him and pressed my lips to his collarbone. When he groaned happily and gripped my shoulders, I pulled back. Beaming, I gestured my head to my tied hands.

“The ropes…of course, of course.” Quickly, he unbound me and eased me onto the cold ground. He nestled himself on top of me, wary of my foot.

Although it no longer pained me; in fact, it almost felt numb.

I refused to let his lips touch mine. My fingers stroked his beard, caressing their way down to his muscled chest. I murmured Lieuvi babble at him in a gentle purr.

Despite how reserved I was, he still gripped my waist hungrily.

A small grunt and a thump at the camp told me Tristan and Armadillo had succeeded in knocking Varick unconscious, but I still wished they had hit Ace already.