chapter two

DARK PRINCE
: : CHAPTER TWO

I woke to the smell of burning flesh. At first, it was incredibly difficult to open my eyes because my eyelids felt heavy and worn out like I hadn't gotten any sleep for the past two weeks.

When my eyes finally opened, however, I immediately noticed that I wasn't in my bedroom. The room was empty, for the most part. I had to squint my eyes to see through the thick haze of darkness the room was bathed in, but I could pick out the outline of a table. It was the only object inside of the room, aside from myself.

My first instinct was to move, but I quickly realized my legs and hands were tied together. My eyes drifted to my ankles to size up the restraints, but there weren't any. I looked over my shoulder at my wrists to see that they, too, were free of restraints. With a frustrated sigh, I tried to stand, but an invisible force prevented me from moving. I took another look at my ankles.

I'm losing my goddamn mind!

I must've fidgeted in place for a full minute before my attention landed on the outline of a human figure in front of me. I didn't have the patience to recall whether or not this figure had been standing there the whole time.

"What the hell is going on," I growled.

The figure remained still.

"Is this some kind of sick prank?" I asked when I remember how sadistic Sam really was. "Sam, I swear, this isn't funny!"

Still no response.

I tried to break free of my invisible restraints again. It's safe to say that it didn't work.

A low, masculine laugh sounded from the middle of the room. I looked up to see two glowing red dots floating in the air. It took me a bit more squinting to realize the red dots were actually eyes. "What the..." The figure stepped forward as a mysterious light illuminated his skin. As soon as I was able to process his facial features, I gasped.

His red eyes were the least of my concerns. He was tall - probably towering over seven feet - and he appeared to be shirtless, but it was really hard to tell with the intense charcoal color of his skin and the white tattoos etched into his flesh, if you can even call it that. His skin looked hard, like it was made of an impermeable metal alloy. The part that worried me the most was that there were two small horns sticking out of his head and he possessed a long tail that mindlessly waved in the air.

Now I was seriously tripping on acid.

The devil thing spoke. He had a low, pedophile-like voice. "So, what? You're not gonna scream? They all scream."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not gonna scream because I know this is either a prank, or I'm ridiculously high right now."

The devil thing was silent for a while and I mistook his silence as a nonverbal confirmation. I knew I was wrong, though, when he turned on his heel and walked towards the table in the center of the room. Suddenly, the darkness in the room was lifted and I was able to see again. When I focused my attention on the devil thing, I let out yet another gasp when I saw one of my fellow buddies strapped against the table in the middle of the room, shirtless. I didn't know his name, just that he can be funny, sometimes.

The devil thing's eyes fell back to me. With a weird, twisted, sardonic smile creeping onto his pitch black face, he lifted his index finger to reveal an incredibly long and incredibly sharp fingernail. Before I could fully comprehend what was going to happen, he stabbed his fingernail into the boy's chest and trailed it along his stomach, leaving a bright red gash in its place.

The boy let out a ghastly scream that made my ears hurt. I tried to cup my hands over my ears, but again, those damn nonexistent restraints kept my hands tied behind my back.