Artemis

The World: Women's society on Artemis is beautiful; they placed the Gaea on the barren soil of the world, the first rays of the alien sun glimmered across its surface, and great slabs of earth and stone lifted into the air. The Gaea brought rain to the barren land, which caused healthy plants to grow everywhere. For this reason, the females built their cities on the floating islands, leaving the land below to grow and prosper as vast farmlands that churned out all the food their society needed; but now that the Gaea is dying, the farms are starting to whither. Worse still, the smaller islands have begun to fall, and the great life-giving rainstorms have started to become storms that threaten the cities themselves.

Female society is an Anocracy; the people are ruled over by a committee of seven, each of who must win their seat of authority in a contest (cooking, medicine, the arts, science, combat, engineering, or virtue). A representative of each tenet sits in on the council, where she speaks for the rights and responsibilities of those who practice the tenet she excels at. From the outside, it might seem strange that these seven things are viewed with such respect and given so much power, but they are the essential keys to keeping Artemis's society moving smoothly. Cooks keep the people happy and fed, while doctors mend the sick and injured. Performers keep morale high, while science keeps the mind sharp. The virtuous pass judgement over the wicked, while the strong fight to keep them safe. And the engineers keep the world turning all the while.

In reproduction the egg of a would-be Ohma is fertilized with DNA from the Odam, and carried to term. All children grow up in a family, where they find what tenet they flourish in, and work to excel. It is not uncommon for families to have more than one child. The family dynamic is a huge deal on Artemis, so much so that there are no such things as orphan children. If a child's parents become unable to tend to their needs, the child is taken in either by extended family, or by someone of the same tenet who is not caring for their own children.

Women's technology is as much a thing of beauty as anything else they invest themselves into. Technology is functional and efficient, but huge considerations are made in regards to the aesthetics. Everything is considered in the design, from use and efficiency, to ergonomics and style.

Female spacesuits are prime examples of their function and aesthetic principles; where men limit SkinSuits to only the bare essentials, women make the SkinSuit all that is needed. The standard SkinSuit is environmentally sealed, and has several basic systems included (communications, computer interface, maneuvering thrusters, etc). Skinsuits are also designed to be beautiful, and come in a wide assortment of colors and designs. It was the men who used propaganda to make the women out to be inhuman monsters; the women just saw no reason to dispel the rumors, and in many cases their SkinSuits have been done up to make the woman appear to be some manner of marauding alien. The suits are lightweight and flexible, allowing the wearer to maximize on their maneuverability; they have built in laser weaponry, which makes up for its moderate offensive strength by being independent of ammunition needs.

Like their suits, the female spacecraft is designed with aesthetics in mind. The ships have an almost organic feel to their design, embracing smooth curves and vibrant colors. They are very sleek and maneuverable, with much greater speed than the male ships, at the cost of durability. They have light energy shielding and laser weaponry, but are much less durable than the ponderous male ships. To compensate for their defensive weakness, as well as being much quicker, the ships have multi-phase spectrum cloaking, which makes them nearly invisible. While they can be detected with effort, usually they're either too close to avoid, or they've already made their attack and are swiftly moving out of counterattack range.