The Ranking

There are many roles in a werewolf pack. But here are the main titles that authors use in there stories, and these are basically the most important to know.

Alpha- The alpha is the leader of the pack. He is the strongest and most important. This title is the highest title a wolf can have. Alphas are born into the title. In some cases, if a wolf does not feel that the Alpha is worthy or strong enough to care for the pack they will challenge the Alpha to a fight to the death. If the wolf wins, then the wolf will be the new Alpha, seeing to the fact that they defeated the previous Alpha who was meant to be the strongest in the pack. They become the new leader and their pups will continue the line. If the Alpha happens to be killed in battle, the wolf that killed him becomes the new Alpha of their pack. Other than that the title is passed down to the eldest child of the Alpha. If the child isn't capable of fulfills their duties when the title is meant to be passed (still too young or hasn't shifted yet), then the next in line of leadership would be the Beta. Alphas are all highly respected and are to protect their pack at all costs. Alphas are naturally born with stronger and powerful genes, thus they are the superior wolves and natural leaders.

Beta- The Beta is the second in command. He is the second strongest and second most important title a wolf can have. Betas are usually born into it like Alphas, but every new Alpha picks there own Beta. The most common and known case is usually the next Alpha in the family line gets or chooses the son of the Beta but there are cases in which this may not happen. For example, if an Alpha is challenged and is defeated, then the new Alpha will take over and chose their own Beta. The former Beta will lose their place. Betas are mostly chosen by the Alpha for having a relationship of some sort. For example, they had been best friends and are trustworthy. Betas control the pack in the absence of the Alpha. Betas also have heightened genes but not enough to match the alphas.

Gamma- The Gamma is the third in command, third strongest, and is the third highest title a wolf could have. Gammas are in charge of the warriors and act as the general. They are the trainers of the pact and make sure that everyone is fit for battle. They are to make the battle plans but of course have to run it through with the Alpha. Gammas are usually born into it like Alphas and Betas, but every new Alpha picks there own Gamma. For example, if an Alpha is challenged and is defeated, then the new Alpha will take over and chose their own Gamma. The former Gamma will lose their place. Gammas, like Betas, are mostly chosen by the Alpha for having a relationship of some sort. For example, they had been best friends and are trustworthy. In summery, the Gammas are the generals of the pack and train the pack member to be ready for battle.

Luna- The Alpha Female, or Luna, is the Alphas mate. She is the mother figure of the pack. She is there to assist the Alpha with his duty's. She is to be a strong and powerful woman. Some authors will make the Luna a shy stay at home mother meant only for breeding the next Alpha heir. Other authors will make the Luna and independent female who takes charge and does not follow the expectations. In my opinion, I prefer these types of Luna's.

Beta and Gamma Female- The Beta and Gamma Female are the mates of the Beta and Gamma. They are to simply assist the Beta and Gamma and support them but do not get to work with the pack businesses.

Pack Warrior- pack warriors are basically the fighter for the pack.

Omega- Omegas are just servents and people who do work around the pack house. Not many authors refer to Omegas in their books so I won't go into onto much detail on them.

These are the rankings of the wolfs in a pack.