27 More Steps

They were up before sunrise, and as much as Elena complained, there was no going back to bed. Losing their first plan hit them like a ton of bricks. Elena, as she looked around her group of friends, was sure that they had all slowly lost hope. But she wasn't giving up. Jenna was the reason that her husband was dead. Jenna was the reason that her best friend had become a ripper again. Jenna was the reason that Elena hurt inside. So Jenna had to die.

"What are we even looking for?"
"There's a tunnel down south of here, it leads to the underground chambers, follow them through and that's where the clue led us to" Seth said walking beside the girl.
"How do you know all about this?" Caroline said, judgement settling nicely on her face.
"I've had a lot of time on my hands"

so they did just that, walked through the dark tunnel until they reached a door. it was massive filling almost half the room. and locked. a kind of lock which would keep out the vampires.

"so what exactly are we supposed to do now?" Caroline slammed her foot on the ground

"it's fine we will find a way in" elena said calmly tracing the door with the edge of her finger.

"easy for you to say, harder for you to do" Caroline huffed leaning her back against the wall. just as she did that a light shone, blinding them all for almost a second. she bolted up straight looking around.

"what the hell was that?" Seth shouted looking through the darkness.

"it was the lock, our way in" elena pulled open the door letting it swing into the wall. and yet again, complete darkness. "what is this place?"

"crescent darkness" Enzo said for the first time, finally speaking up. "it's a chapel of dark magic"

"dark magic! you're kidding me right?!" Caroline exclaimed, "oh yes let's all walk into a cave made for evil, that's not suspicious at all" she shot Seth a glance before an arm was placed around her.

"it's our only option" Enzo said walking into the cave with her following slightly behind.

it was complete darkness for a while, and elena found herself tripping at every chance. finally they met a small speck of light at the end of the room.

"I don't understand, why lead us here? it's nothing" elena said getting slightly frustrated at their lack of answers.

Bonnie leant down onto the floor, and traced her fingers against a old crusty book.

"it's a spell book" Bonnie lifted it up in the air, shining the torch onto it. "why would we need this?"

"because to find the cure, you need the spells" Seth started walking around the room. "the first time the cure was found, a witch had to unlock it. inside that book I bet the spell to find the cure lives."

"another thing you shouldn't know. boy you become more trustworthy everyday" Caroline grunted before being elbowed in the ribs by elena.

"does this mean we are one step closer" elena said a smile creeping into her face. she shone the torch around the room, fixating on one spot. there was a bump in the wall, like a cut. she slowly walked over to it, ignoring the constant talking behind her. using the tips of her nails, she broke open the seal and pulled out the draw.

the next moment were slow for elena. the calls of her name echoed in her head, but they seemed so far away, so distant. she didn't care. she held the object in the palm of her hand. if only they hadn't been in darkness, her face would of been priceless. she wasn't smiling, nor frowning or scaling. she was blank. there wasn't any words that could come out of her mouth until she was shook, by both shoulders and by a bottle blonde.

"elena! snap out of it, did you find it?" Caroline asked.

elena looked around the room, their faces was full of hope and a little smile. she wished she had found it, but now she had found something much worse. something that gave her hope. false hope probably. but hope as it stands.

"this shouldn't be here" she whispered "it should be burnt, gone, dead....like-" she trailed off, her words getting lost on the way to the tip of her tongue.

"lena, what is it?" Seth said stepping forward. she couldn't help but feel some warmth at the soft, calming tone in his voice. he didn't seem scared or worried or curious. maybe that was a bad thing, maybe he should of been very scared.

Elena moved her hand slowly, like she was holding a diamond that she could loose at any moment. she held the object at the top of her fingers, shining the slow light on it. noises escaped their mouths, but confused traced their voices.

"it's a daylight ring" elena started before looking straight up for the first time since she had seen it. "it's Damon's daylight ring"