26 More Steps

The night showed its ugly head and elena found herself shivering beyond normality. but she would not go to her warm, comfortable sleeping bad. no, not until she found out what this meant.

finding Damon's ring came as a shock to them all. Caroline jumped, not sure of excitement or surprise. Bonnie trailed off, her face filled with emotions, no one was able to see which. Enzo asked questions, lots and lots, that even with some of the smartest minds in one room, none of them could be answered. and Seth stepped back. he didn't move. like he had been paralysed in his standing position. elena was sure she could see some sadness glooming his eyes, but she didn't make a big deal out of it. cause she was too busy dealing with the sadness she felt inside. this wasn't meant to be here, none of this was meant to be possible. Damon was dead and so was the ring he was wearing. which means someone went in after and took it. which means Jenna wanted her to find this, she wanted her to feel pain.

yet the only thing she felt was dumb. the days had rushed by and that's exactly what elena done. she rushed. she rushed into finding the cure. she rushed into getting over her grief. and most of all she rushed into Seth. she should of never looked at him in any other way. and now the pinging feeling of guilt laid in her stomach. this was Damon's ring. Damon the man she risked her life for. Damon the man she fell in love with almost instantly. Damon the man she said I do to. Damon the man she shared her first child with. and Damon, the man who she watched burn with the building, wishing she could run and save him. with the days of drama, searching and anger, she had almost forgot him. forgot the love of her life.

"Lena?" elena recognised the voice, and the nickname. yet normally his voice was confident, cocky, confirmed. but in this moment his voice sounded weak, sad and broken. elena was scared to see his face.

She slowly walked to the door of her tent and unzipped it, she stepped aside, not willing to make eye contact at this particular moment.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you, I just, I needed to see if you were okay" he said slowly, numbly. she could almost hear the tremble in his voice.

"are you okay? you look beat, maybe you should sleep" elena said avoiding the point, she rushed around the small space clearing her stuff from around and placing them in the corners.

"can I stay with you?" he asked slowly. Elena could see that in his eyes, he was scared. an emotion that she had never, nor did she ever think she would see on his face. he was so strong so proud so confident. this seemed like a different person. a younger,smaller, weaker person.

"yes...yes of course" elena said smiling slightly and sweetly. she slowly moved herself so she was lying inside the sleeping bag. her hands outside of it. she watched as the boy made his way over and lied beside her in his own sleeping bag. her eyes caught his, and for a split second she was sure she saw a flame run through them. it was like a game, who would look away first. and elena wasn't up for playing but she couldn't seem to tear her eyes away from the boy. his eyes were dark, darker than usual, a kind of dark evil. but they were open, not just literally but deepened. like she could finally see inside of them. see what he was feeling. see what he was hiding. he looked broken. his skin was pale, almost sickly. his hair drooped over his forehead, from the lack of styling and care. his mouth was still perfectly lined, but yet his top lip didn't raise into a smirk, or a smile, or anything. it was placed downwards, causing a small frown to be on his face. and when he finally looked away, elena could see the brokenness of him. the little boy inside, like it was trying to escape. she felt a warming sadness overcome her. this boy in front of her, this damaged boy, he was nothing different from the boy she loved. he was cool, cocky, brave. yet inside deep down, his heart was gold, he wanted to be loved, maybe that's why she felt for him. because he was just like damon. and inside she could feel her heart beating at double the speed it did before. and as he turned on his side to face her, their bodies close enough to feel the warmth off of each other, she could feel and hear his heart mirroring hers. her hand stretched out of the covers, catching the tip of his fingers on hers. they interlocked, pulling them even closer together. and yet again they met eyes, except this time his had changed. they were more orange, more excited, more sexy. and elena saw that glisten of fire again, yet this time it wasn't just a spark, it was a whole firework display. and that's what she felt, fireworks radiating off of them. and she was scared. she was scared because this boy had done something to her. made her whole body give in. like she would fall at his feet at any second. and she had, when his hand run along her hip and down to her thigh. she couldn't speak, even when she opened her mouth no words came out. she just watched as he gripped her waist, not in a mode of passion, more a mode of comfort and...love.