Chapter One

"Late"

Already, an hour had lapsed and he was late--again. For the third time this week, he was late for the one day they got to spend together in the midst of their--or his rather--busy schedules. It wasn't like Kyungsoo wasn't accustomed to his boyfriend's ceaseless tardiness, though. He learned early on in the two years they had been together that when dating the future CEO of one of the largest tech companies in the country, he couldn't expect him or their date nights to be at the top of his priority list. Kyungsoo really had no other choice but to respect it. He learned to cope with it by remembering his promise.

"One day, all of this--our lives, our relationship--it will be easier."

People constantly told him he was crazy, delusional even, to believe in him and his words. Even Jongin's closest companion Sehun said that to him at one point in time. But Kyungsoo didn't really care what Sehun or other people had to say about it. He believed Jongin, and he was positive that they were made for each other. In their eyes, Jongin wasn't the same man that he was two years ago, but with time comes change. They couldn't be in the giddy, honeymoon phase forever, could they? Kyungsoo was still serious about spending the rest of his life with him, and Jongin was working hard to make sure that could happen. 

That was what Kyungsoo said when he needed to convince himself.

Kyungsoo was startled when a pair of strong arms circled around his midsection, causing him to turn his head and look behind him. "Hey," Jongin's sweet voice said, his lips briefly pressing to the smaller's neck.

"Hey," replied Kyungsoo somewhat quietly, taking a breaking from washing the dishes to face Jongin.

"I'm sorry I"m late again," Jongin said, pulling out his guilty, slightly whiny tone of voice that always made Kyungsoo fold. "I would have been here earlier, but my dad's keeping me busy with all this talk of his early retirement."

"It's okay. A phone call or a text would have been nice, though," Kyungsoo said, playing with the collar of his lover's striped dress shirt. "I always assume you're working, but something bad could have happened."

Jongin nodded and grinned ever so faintly. "I promise I'll call next time, okay?" he said. Kyungsoo gazed into the taller man's eyes. He made a lot of promises, most of which he kept. Some he didn't.

"Okay," Kyungsoo still said, the pout that once inhabited his lips slowly curving into a smile. Jongin smiled back, but the smile vanished when his lips connected with Kyungsoo's in the gentlest of ways. It wasn't quite deep enough to spark their more lascivious feelings, at least not yet, but it was more than enough to take their breath away.

"Did I miss the movie?" Jongin asked succeeding the conclusion of the kiss.

"No," Kyungsoo answered, shaking his head and faced the sink again. "I didn't want to start it without you. Plus, it was a scary movie and I can't watch them alone."

"Gee." Jongin cackled, the sound of his cheerful laugh causing an elated grin to appear on Kyungsoo's face. "Thanks, babe, glad to know you think of me as only a shield from fictional demons."

Kyungsoo laughed, throwing his head back slightly. "You're welcome," he replied, his head still back and his twinkling owl eyes staring up at Jongin, who just smirked and pecked the elder's lips with another kiss. "We can put it in just as soon as I finish these dishes," he said once his head was back in its previous position.

"Or," Jongin said, trailing his voice off as he wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo's waist again, "we can skip the dishes and the movie and just get to the main event." A smirk developed on Kyungsoo's lips and he turned back around to see the familiar look of lust in Jongin's eyes.