Epilogue (The First)

"Happy"

Jongin is lost for words. What should he say to a person, who happens to his ex-lover, he hasn't seen in two years? "I-It's been so long since I've seen you...I-I don't know what to say."

"Yeah, I know," Kyungsoo says, a small, airy laugh blowing past his lips as he spoke. The silence between them was awkward and hurt; it made them want to yell and cry, but their bodies were holding them back.

"H-How...how have you been?" Jongin finally asks, his voice weak and barely audible as he clears his throat. It takes a moment for Kyungsoo to reply because he somehow finds himself getting lost in Jongin's eyes, seeing more than clearly how painful their unexpected encounter is for him.

"I've been okay," he says with a nod of his head, trying to smile faintly. "I've been great actually. Yeah, I just got back from Italy. I decided to go back to culinary school and got to do a semester there, so..."

"Wow, that's great," Jongin says, sounding genuinely happy for him, "That's awesome."

"Yeah." Kyungsoo smiles, his cheeks turning a faint red color as his head drops for a brief second or two. "And I, uh, I..." He doesn't know if telling Jongin is right, but he feels oddly obligated to--for his sake. "I met someone...another guy, obviously."

Jongin's heart clenches from the inside of his chest, seeking refuge by his rib cage.

"Really?" he says, trying his hardest to keep a smile on for Kyungsoo.

"Yeah," Kyungsoo says. "I met him at the restaurant I worked at actually. He was one of the instructors. I'm waiting for him now."

"T-That's really great, Kyungsoo," Jongin says, despite the agony being shot at his heart. "I'm happy for you. How long has it been? You know, since you t-two got together?"

"Oh, um, only a few months," he says. Jongin's eyes widen slightly and Kyungsoo blushes again at his reaction. "Yeah, he was quick to confess to me."

"Apparently so," Jongin says, trying to give out a convincing chuckle. "A-And he treats you well? H-He takes care of you?"

"Oh, yeah, he's really sweet to me," Kyungsoo says, smiling. "He's kind of a shameless romantic." The thought of him warms his heart with compassion, but it doesn't last long once he sees Jongin's mask begin to peel off. That's when the guilt sinks in, the guilt that eats at him every time. "But enough about me and my life," he says as he shifts his body weight onto his other foot, shaking his head and changing the subject. "How have things with you been?"

"Oh, fine, I guess," Jongin says.

"Are you still working for your dad?" he inquires.

"Yeah, but he retired a year ago, so someone else took over," the younger explains.

"But I thought you were supposed to," says Kyungsoo, feeling partially perplexed and taken aback. "Isn't what all that work was for?"

"Yeah, I was, but I don't know..." Jongin shrugs and his voice trails off as his eyes do the same. "It didn't feel right for some reason. But the woman my dad picked is excellent and super smart, so we're in good hands. She felt bad for 'taking the position' from me, so she promoted me to one of the heads of department."

"Wow, that's awesome," Kyungsoo says, smiling in a congratulatory manner. "I hope you're not overworking yourself still."

"No, I actually leave at a decent time these days," Jongin says, earning a small laugh from the elder.

"Good, I'm glad," he says. He can't help but think it's a pitiful waste, though, all of the time he spent stuck in his office or glued to his computer.