Getting Away

The parking lot was only a few feet in front of us. Hundreds of cars filled every single spot and each one we passed was each being pelted with bullets. Closer to the front of the school, yellow school buses lined up one after another filled with screaming students. I grabbed Natalie and pulled her by my side behind the richest kid in our grades brand new 2015 Red Corvette and waited until they had to reload their ammo. My car wasn't very far from where we were kneeling now it was just a matter of getting there without getting torn apart by bullets. When the sound of the guns firing stopped we both booked it towards my Ford Escape and jumped in. It was a matter of seconds that took me to start my car and speed to the exit of the school's parking lot. The sound of bullets hitting the back of my car came so fast it took me awhile to comprehend what was happening. "GET DOWN!" I screamed as Natalie and I practically ducked in the floorboard. The back window flew out as I put the full weight of my foot on the gas and sped out of the exit to where they could not shoot us anymore. Natalie and I slumped back up in our seats and were panting. I was drenched in sweat and my brand new Hollister T Shirt was ripped up the sides from the shards of glass that still hung in the bathroom window when we jumped for our lives. I looked to Natalie in the passenger seat, "There is no where safe to go, I am sure they have all of their people after us right now." Natalie gasped for air, "Let's wait it out at your house and come up with a plan."

We sped up to my driveway and ran to my front door locking it behind me. I threw the commanders bag that was still on my shoulders on top of the kitchen table that was still cluttered with yesterday's dinner that my parents still hadn't clean up. "DAD! MOM?" I yelled to get no reply. "They were almost never never is home so it's not new!" I said angrily to Natalie. "What do you think the commander meant by saying You know what to do with the adults? Do you think he means to get rid of them, like kill them?" Natalie asked in fear. Fear took over every inch of my body. "If we want to be extra safe we need to do something about these windows, they can see straight inside here." Natalie interrupted to try to change the subject to get the idea of my dad being dead off my mind. I walked to the kitchen counter and reached to flip on the on switch to see if the electricity was out here too, to of course get nothing. She walked towards the living room and took a couple blankets off the back of the couch and hung them over the windows with a couple thumbtacks that were sitting around the kitchen counter making the house a lot more darker than it already was. We had a really good alarm system but it obviously doesn't work now because we have no electricity so in other words we're screwed if those people try to break in.

Natalie emptied all of the contents out of the soldiers bag onto the kitchen table moving the leftover food from yesterday over out of the way. A long black bag is what stood out the most. I grabbed the bag and unzipped it, inside was a syringe and needle filled with green liquid and other strange tools that looked like torture devices. "What is that stuff?" Natalie curiously picked up the needle and moved it back in forth in front of her light blue eyes. She tucked her blonde hair behind her ear and sat down on an already pulled out kitchen chair. "Ryan, this is definitely not something a human could make. They have to be aliens, I mean what other explanation do we have? I have never seen a color this vivid in my entire life." I pulled it out of her hand and inspected its contents. Before Natalie could start her sentence a loud noise erupted from outside.

The sound of truck engines followed by slamming doors came from the middle of the street. I put the needle back on the table and slowly tiptoed towards the window with Natalie following behind. "Get every house and make sure no one's left. We already have most of the teenagers at the camp. Go, go, go!" the black haired leader pointed towards the house straight across from the street and slowly trailed behind the alien soldiers. "Natalie! That's Mrs.Mayfield's house!" I whispered but wanted to scream. I have known Mrs. Mayfield from as long as I can remember. She practically raised me as a child when my parents were gone doing god knows what. "What are they going to do to her?! She can't protect herself because she is all alone there!" I said to Natalie and walked towards the front door and untwisted the lock. "Ryan stop! You cannot take on all of them things!" Natalie ran after me and grabbed my shoulder when the sound of a high pitched bloodcurdling scream echoed from across the street. A gunshot followed. My heart dropped to my stomach and I fell on my hands and knees onto the hardwood floor and started to bawl. I could've saved her. I let her die.