Chapter Two

After almost a half hour of inner conflicts and hesitation, I finally got the courage to get out of my car and trudge to the front door of my house.

And when I say trudge, I mean walk very slowly as I rehearsed what to say once they opened the door. I was waiting for my dog Bruiser to start barking giving me away right as I walked up the first few steps, but it was silence.

Bruiser was a golden retriever, I have had him since I was 10, he always was in for trouble, and always up for games. He gave my mom such a fuss, she hated him because he always got fur everywhere, but she kept him around because it kept me happy - and like I said before, when I'm happy; I'm not a bother.

I figured they probably put him in the back yard like always when it got dark out. I hated when they did that, alot of times when I was younger - and even in high school I would sneak him in my room and let him sleep in my bed then get up extra early just to let him outside so it looked like he was out there the entire night. He was a good dog, and you know the perks of having a dog? Chicks dig it.

I know Grace did anyway, she loved him like he was her own. Thats why I wasn't so worried about him when I left, she would take care of him, even if she did hate me I know she couldn't and wouldn't take that out on Bruiser.

As I stood infront of the door, I kept my hands firmly in my pockets to keep myself from fidgeting, and mostly to keep myself from ringing the door bell, but I couldn't just wait outside on the front door step forever - they or someone else will see me sooner or later and probably call the cops thinking I'm some sort of creep with my luck.

I cleared my throat, taking in one last deep breath and my shaky hand pressed gently down on the door bell. I could hear it from inside the house - I then panicked - maybe I should just run away before they open the door - but it was too late, the door swung gracefully open, and I knew it was my mom.

My mom appeared annoyed as she opened the door, she always hated having company over after dark, but her look of irritation turned into shock as I stood awkwardly before her.

My bright blue eyes peirced into hers like a deer in headlights, my hands were stuffed in my pockets, fidgeting with my jean fabrics. I realized she wasn't going to say anything - so I put on a nervous smile taking the initiative. "Hey mom." I greeted as strongly as I could.

She just blinked at me, she looked like she wanted to say something but no words came out. I was a little surprised to say the least. I was waiting for her to roll her eyes at me and ask me what I wanted but she stood there like a statue. She had a suit on, which I presumed was from work indicating she still worked as a lawyer.

She soon snapped out of whatever daze she was in, shaking her head slightly before stepping to the side, gesturing with her head for me to come in. I forced a small smile at her as I entered.

The house looked mostly the same, still had the marble floors, the big chandeler shining above us in the foyer, the spiral staircase and even the little island table with flowers rested on it - though the flowers were dead, and I found that unusual because mom always took care of the flowers. She was a perfectionist, everything needed to be a certain way. I shrugged it off, turning back to her as she shut the door after us.

I continued to look around, there were new pictures of the family hung up on the walls, and I spotted a picture of me and Bruiser making the corners of my mouth tilt up.

I felt my mom wisp past me leading to the kitchen, I followed her with my eyes scanning every inch of the house looking for something diffrent - so far so good.

She stopped when she was at the stove, she seemed to be cooking spegetti, something simple which surprised me. My mom cooked sophisticated things. She loved a challenge - which is something I gained from her. She would make dinners so fancy you would think it came right out of a food magazine, and not to mention how good it would all taste. My moms cooking was one of the things I missed dearly while I was gone.