Chapter Ten: Alyssa

A gun shot sounded right next to my head, making me jump and the zombies head exploded. Pieces of brain and blood splattered every where. Jake stood there in shock then looked at the person that had saved him. I turned quickly to face the person.

A girl around my age stood a little behind me, her hair was short and blond and she was dressed in casual clothes. Blood stained her pants and she held a revolver in her hand, it still pointed at Jake.

Taking a step, I got in the way of her gun, "Lower your weapon." My voice was calm and soft.

Her cold blue eyes looked at me, "Who are you." She growled out.

"I'm Kylene and he's Jake. Our van broke down so we came here to fix it... Thank you for saving him, now... Who are you?"

"Alyssa." Her gun lowered, "I've been hiding out her for the past few days, the people id' been traveling with got killed." She sighed, "Mind if I join you?"

Jake walked up to use, having had retrieved his gun. He nodded, as did I. All three of us headed back out to the van, just in time to see David finish with fixing it up. He looked over at us and raised an eyebrow.

As Jake went to put the stuff in the van, I introduced Alyssa to David and Mason. They both greeted her to the team. She took over driving for David and we were soon on our way again.

Sitting in the passenger seat, I got a water bottle and opened it, taking a swig. "So... Do you know anything about what's going on in New York?" I glanced at Alyssa who shook her head.

"No, that's were I'd been heading too. The people I was with had came from there. They said that they had been sent out to find people to take back. I was the only person they found though." She sighed.

"Oh... What happened at the gas station?"

"We got ambushed, I was able to hide in the bathroom. But when I got out, they were all dead." Her eyes remained on the road, "I need to get to New York though, my families suppose to be there. They left before I did, and I hope they made it."

I smiled a little, knowing what she must be feeling, "Alyssa, I'm sure they are there, safe, and waiting for you."

A smile came to her face to, "Yeah? Hope your right."

Every few hours we'd switch out who's turn it was driving, those that weren't driving spent their time either checking the map or sleeping. David spent his time making food to eat for us. Jake slept, and Mason kept his eyes on the map and were exactly we were going. He'd managed to find out where the broadcast single was coming from, Alyssa telling us exactly were to go. She had visited New York a lot during her summers, having family there.

Within a few days, we drove into New York, Jake ramming the van through the bodies of the zombies on the street. They were every where, it was scary to see so many in one place. But for some reason they weren't really paying any attention to us driving though, it was as if we weren't worth their time or energy.

Alyss moved to the passenger seat, starting to give Jake directions on where to go. He listened, following her directions. The rest of us sat in the back with our guns in our hands. We were prepared for an attack at any time.