Chapter 21 - The Wrong Colour Horse

Jay’s words were venomous but lined with sorrow. Steph looked horrified. I glanced at Max, he was looking from Jay to me and then to Steph he also had a look of pure horror on his face.

I know Jay was famous but he didn’t have the right to speak to Steph and me like that, my anger was boiling over. “WHAT THE HELL, you don’t have the right to be like that to Steph if anything she should be angry at you but she is not!”.

The boys looked quite taken back by my sudden ferocity, including Jay. I shifted my gaze towards Max to see if he was just as shocked, he was but when he saw me looking he grinned and imitated a cat with claws, he mouthed ‘Meow’ and winked. I tried hard not to smile because I was still angry.

Steph had burst into tears, no longer being able to hold them back. I looked at Steph and then scowled at Jay, ”See!” I exclaimed to him.

Jay looked worried for Steph but then quickly regained his burrowing scowl concentrated on me. “What is actually going on with you Mate, what happened yesterday?” Max interrupted, stepping in between us. “Sheathe your claws tiger” Max whispered to me, I smiled and rolled my eyes at him.

“Look at the news it’s probably already there!” Jay shouted angrily.

Tom got the mornings paper from the kitchen surface and handed it to Max, he opened it to page three and I read the article alongside him.

I gasped as I read the article, “What does it say?” Steph asked whilst she wiped her tears away.

“But this doesn’t make sense, ‘The Wanted’s Jay Mcguiness was seen waiting for someone, presumably a date, for three hours yesterday evening but to no avail as he left the restaurant alone and hungry’ And then it goes on a bit” I was really confused.

Steph looked just as confused as me.

“But this makes out that you got stood up” Max said questioningly to Jay.

“Yeah, and I did” Jay said angrily staring at Steph again. Steph’s lip trembled as she tried to hold the tears back.

“Wait, so you both stood up each other, how does that even work?” I asked. I looked back and forth between Steph and Jay, trying to calculate what had occurred.

“What so… What?” Jay said confused.

“Wait, Wait I have got it, you both got to your date at the right time, right?” I said as everything clicked into place.

They both nodded, not taking there confused blue eyes of each other for one second.

“And what time was that?” I delved further.

“Half eight” They spoke in unison.

“Okay, right, got it” I said as it hit me. Max looked at me and smiled as he figured it out too.

“Tell us then!” Jay shouted, his anger building up again.

With a sense of knowing what was coming I asked “Which restaurant did you go to Steph?”.

“The one that Jay told me to go to, The Silver Horse” She told us, Steph looked puzzled but Jay however was between realisation and hating himself, Jay’s expression was a weird thing to see.

“Oooooooh” was all Jay could say.

“And you went to The White Horse didn’t you Jay” Tom said. I could tell that everyone wanted to laugh at Jay and Steph but we didn’t want to risk it. Jay nodded and hung his head in shame.

“I am so sorry Steph, I didn’t mean anything that I said I was just angry at everything but it was my entire fault”. Jay suddenly blurted out. “And in all the haste I even forgot to give you my number so I couldn’t even check with you to see if you were okay. Oh my gosh what if you were hurt, and I was just stupidly worried about being stood up” Steph just stood in silence as Jay carried on. “Will you ever forgive me?” he pleaded.

No one spoke, everyone’s attention was on Steph, she was smiling a wide smile and shook her head chuckling to Jay. “Of course I will you numpty” She said, she was now laughing out loud.

At that moment Jay lifted his head up and strode across the room in three strides so that he was face to face with Steph, there was an inch between them. He wrapped his arms around her waist, pulled her body towards his own and Placed his lips against hers.