I Would, But I Can't (Yet Another TSwift Songfic)

I hugged my knees together, pulling them closer to my chest for warmth. I was shivering as Mom drove quickly past the nearly empty highway. Not many cars were driving at 2 a.m. anyway. I tried to distract myself by looking at the glistening nightlife outside my window, but Mom’s soft tap on my shoulder made me fall to tears again.

“It’s alright, Sweetie. Everything will be okay. I promise,” she said in a soothing voice. I trembled—I could still feel the immense shock that paralyzed my brain a few hours ago. Everything was a blur; between sleeping and waking, I felt my Mom pulling me out of our house. When I managed to open my eyes, my house was no more—the fire burned it right down to the ground. The police were still around and investigating the reason behind it, though, but my Mom wanted me to be in a safer place. I did not even know where she was taking me, but she said it was the only place she could think of.

“When all is settled and I can get us a new home, I’ll pick you up, Anna,” Mom explained. “You shouldn’t use this accident as a reason from skipping school. Anyway, I’ll send you some usable clothes tomorrow morning.”

Usable clothes. I rolled my eyes towards my chest and nodded. When the fire started, I was sleeping—so right till now, all I got on was my light pink pyjamas. I didn’t even have a bra underneath. I hope Mom would take me to one of her friends’ houses, they would understand.

“We’re here.”

Just after she said that, my jaw dropped. This was not the kind of place I’d imagine Mom’s friend to live in.

We were entering a really grand and tall apartment building. Well, if a signboard with dazzling lights did not say Luxe Residence on it, I would think this was a five-star hotel. I sank deeper into my seat as Mom parked right in front of the lobby. Our 1985 red Chevy with its hoarse engine was certainly the worst car here. But Mom wiped her tears and smiled. “Let’s go.”

Since then, as far as I could remember, I knew my life would change.

-

BLUE 

“How are you, Anna?”

I held the giant yawn that was trying to escape my throat and turned it into a cough. Drowning myself into the feathery bed cover, I spoke, “I’m fine here, Dad. No worries.”

I always knew that the only times Dad would ever call me were 1) On my birthday 2) On Christmas morning 3) If an earthquake or tsunami strikes the country. But I guess a fire could also be added to the list now. I didn’t miss him at all, I barely even knew him. He was this insanely rich businessman that sadly turned out to be promiscuous, so Mom decided that it wasn’t safe to raise me with a father figure like that. And so she left him—all she told me was that this penthouse I’m living in right now, it was my Dad’s most trusted confidant’s.

“I’m glad to hear that, Anna. Have you got to meet Samuel, then?”

Samuel—who? Just before I answered, my bedroom door was knocked multiple times. “You who’s in there—you’re awake?”

“Gotta go, Dad, I think here he comes,” I whispered before shutting the call. Crap—what should I say? Did the fire hit Mom’s head really hard that she placed me in a penthouse with a guy?

“I’m coming,” I stood up and brushed the curls of my hair with my fingers. Screw first impressions, I was always this messy when I woke up. I really thought I should remember something, but I couldn’t, so I rushed to open the door—

Shit.

Mom’s usable clothes delivery.

I wasn’t wearing a freaking bra!