Chapter 2

It’s been a week since I've woken up from the coma and a week I’ve known about my family's death. They were all I had left besides my aunt Karen but she was an alcoholic and I couldn’t go live with her. So it was decided that I would go live with Josh and his family in California until I was 18 and that was only a little over a year away.

I haven’t talked much since I found out that my family was killed. I don’t understand why I had to survive; I should be with them right now, not alive and without them.

"You ready, Katie?" Josh asked. I just nodded and that caused him sadly sigh. I know he hated that I wasn’t talking but I didn’t have it in me to talk without breaking down and crying.

Today I was being let out of the hospital and I had to go home and pack everything before I leave to California with Josh.

Josh helped me into the car before he went around to the driver’s side and drove me to my house. I am beyond scared to go there and my parents and brother won’t be there to welcome me home.

As we pulled into the driveway of my house, I looked up at it, silently saying goodbye to it. Next thing I know, Josh is opening my door, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the front door. As we stepped through the front door, I stopped in my tracks. Every memory I could think of began to flash through my mind.

I felt a single tear roll down my cheek. Josh came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me.

“I’m right here for you, Katie” he said kissing my shoulder. I nodded back and gave him a small smile. “Do you want me to make you something to eat while you start packing? Or do you want me to help you start packing right away?”

I shook my head, “Can you make me something? I need some time to myself.” I mumbled.

“Sure, I’ll find you something to eat.” He kissed my forehead before walking into the kitchen.

I took a deep breath and started slowly walking towards my bedroom. I couldn’t stand going to my parents or brothers rooms yet, not without breaking down. As I walked into my room, I just looked around, only trying to focus on what to pack. Ignoring the pictures around my room that had my parents or brother in them and went to get my suite case.

I’ve been packing for about 45 minutes now and I heard a knock on my bedroom door. Josh walked in with a sad smile. “Hey, I made your favorite, chicken Alfred.” He said and then he held out his hand to me to help me up. I took his hand, got up and began walking out the room. I could smell the food. I love Josh’s cooking, it’s the best.

“Hey,” Josh said, not letting go of my hand. I turned to face him curiously. “Come here” he said while pulling me towards him. He pulled me into a loving embrace. I inhaled his calone that he is wearing, it always made me feel better.

 This is one of the reasons why I’m so lucky to have Josh as my best friend, he cared so much. I know that he was close to my family so their death was hard on him too. That’s when I realized how selfish I’ve been. He has to be holding in how he feels about this and only focusing on me. I’ll have to talk to him about it later. But right now I’m starving.

I pulled away and went up on my tippy toes and kissed his cheek. I pulled him out of the room and towards the dining room where I saw to plates full of chicken Alfred, YUMMY!

After we ate in a calming silence, I helped him do the dishes.

I packed for a little longer and then it was 11 o’clock and I’m exhausted.

“Ready for bed?” I asked Josh.

“Sure.” He answered while finishing folding the clothes I threw on my bed.

I was going to have Josh sleep by my side tonight and talk to him about how he felt with all this going on.

We climbed into bed and turned to face each other.

I took a deep breath before I started talking, “Josh, I know that I’ve been really selfish for the past week. I was so worried about how I could go on without them and never realized how you felt. I know you’re holding everything in. and I want to let you know that you don’t have to do that anymore, I’m here for you too.” I said in a whisper, looking straight into his eyes.

His eyes began to water, “I was so scared, Katie. So scared that I was going to lose you in that accident too. I don’t know what I would do without you. You’ve been my best friend for as long as I can remember, and to live without you,” he shook his heads slowly, “I just wouldn’t be able to do it.” A single tear rolled down his cheek as he closed his eyes. I wiped it away with my thumb.

“Hey, look at me,” I began, waiting for him to look at me. He opened my eyes and that way queue to continue. “I’m not going anywhere. I’m right here. I would never leave you.” I said in all seriousness.

Josh gave me a sad smile and then moved up to kiss my forehead and then pulled me in closer so that his arms were around my waist and my head was lying on his chest. Sleeping like this was normal for us, being best friends since we were 5, we have always been this close. I loved him so much for not leaving my side.