five

The card in the small window of the door said Ms. September Rivera, validating his correct location, and Michael closed his eyes, taking a deep breath before entering the small room. He tried not to let himself seem shocked, as he took in the appearance of his best friend. The IV was hooked up to her right arm, and several different monitors were controlling and regulating as well as measuring her pulse, heart rate, and blood pressure.

"Oh god, Sep." Michael used the nickname he'd tease her with when they were in grade six. Not like he exactly thought she'd open her eyes and greet him back. He really missed her voice.

"Well..." Michael sighed, studying her purple eyelid and raw cheeks, "... I really, I just really miss you, September." He began. "Remember Luke? The one who helped me fix that back wheel on your jeep during winter break? Yeah, I talked to him today. He misses you too. We all love you, Sep. Please don't--"

He sniffled. Michael didn't want to seem like a wimp now. He'd only just gotten here. He wouldn't cry over it.

"--Don't leave us, alright? You've still got so much going for you."

Michael paused, and was about to open his mouth to continue when the toilet flushed from within the bathroom and the door opened, a figure walking out and drying his hands on his black jeans.

"Hey, Michael," September's step brother greeted, standing next to his chair, "it's been awhile."

"Yeah, yeah it has Calum." He slowly stood, his height slightly greater than the raven-haired boy's. "I feel like absolute sh--"

"Michael. Don't." He slowly shook his head, squeezed his eyes shut, and placed a hand on Michael's shoulder, looking him in the eye. "Everyone knows that accidents happen, but all we can do now is hope that she'll pull through and she will wake up soon."

"Is there anything I can do?" Michael asked, eyes slightly widened with the thought that there was a way to gain back Calum's trust, which he'd lost so many times before.

"Just... just try to visit her every weekend. We all really want someone to sit with her, you know, so that September doesn't get lonely." Calum sounded a little crazy, but of course Michael wasn't going to argue with the grieving step-brother of his best friend.

"Alright, yeah I can do that. Sure." He nodded his head while Calum slid on his grey coat.

"Make sure you come every weekend, remember?" Calum raised his eyebrows, "Do you need a ride home?"

"No." Michael shuddered a little under his winter coat, heart rate picking up, "No I'll walk. Thanks."

-

this chapter is dedicated to asma!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY OH MY GOD !!! i miss u so much! i think i've said it in every a/n but i have lost touch w/ heaps of my friends on here :(