epilogue

There are five stages of grief, some say. The first stage, denial and isolation, was something Michael took the most time to clear. He spent almost an entire three weeks out of school. He didn't really care that at this rate he was going to have to complete an extra year of college. Sometimes, Mr. and Mrs. Rivera would come home to Michael sitting on their steps. When asked what he was doing, each time they'd get the same answer. Michael would plaster a fake smile on his face and ask if September was home, because he was wondering if she'd like to go on a walk, because he never saw her anymore. The Riveras would offer a sad smile in return, and tell him that she was not available nor home, and he should start on back before it got too dark out. Of course, the first time was very confusing for them both. When offering him a ride, Michael would politely decline and walk home or sometimes ride a push bike that he borrowed from Luke.

The seconds stage, anger, is one that Michael only spent about several days pushing through. Sometimes he'd sit in silence and let the madness consume him, and sometimes Michael would throw things around the small kitchen in their dorm, and Luke would clean up after him, not saying a word. And sometimes, on occasion, Michael would stumble in the small room drunk, and spend a good half hour yelling before he'd burst into uncontrollable sobs.

The third stage was bargaining, where Michael spent hours and hours mumbling to himself about how he shouldn't have gone out with September on that night of the accident. But most of all Michael dwelled on the fact that he missed that weekend when he was supposed to visit her and didn't. That one weekend which he felt changed everything.

Depression, the fourth stage, is one that Michael didn't show nearly as much as the others. He'd stay wrapped up in a cocoon of blankets at the end of the couch for hours, not bothering to eat any meals. Luke would try to talk to him but wouldn't get so much as a one-word answer in reply. Michael drank his coffee, staring at the dark liquid in his mug each morning, zoned out on many occasions, and all he wanted really was someone to tell him that this entire fiasco wasn't his fault, and the truth hurt so much more than it should.

On the final stage, acceptance, Michael found himself standing in front of a white marble grave holding a bright red rose in one hand, the other tightly holding together his jacket which was missing several buttons. "September M. Rivera, 1995 - 2014" the single name and date on the grave were enough to bring tears to his eyes, and Michael had to quickly wipe them away. Placing the rose on the grave, he gazed at the smooth headstone, and exhaled the breath he didn't remember holding in.

It was his first time visiting her grave.

But it wouldn't be his last.

-

huge thank you to everyone who tagged along on this journey!! i'm so grateful for all my amazing readers/commenters/voters :) you guys rock!! i was thinking mayyybe i could do a character ask and add one more part for answers ??? comment below on each character for questions u have.

michael

september

calum

luke

dr. irwin ;)

me :0?

also, last but not least, dedicated to mads!! she has a new book out that u should definitely take a look at. i might also add a little authors note in the next chapter to clear anything up, so if you have any questions please leave them below!