should've known

Dan walked me home around noon, after playing a few more rounds of twenty questions. I actually enjoyed our outing, and even told him so when we parted ways. I was actually sad when I remembered I didn't ask for his phone number. I guess it didn't matter, I was going to change my number soon anyways, and I could always ask Phil if it got really dire.

I was exhausted when I got back up to the flat, so I allowed myself to take a long bath, soaking in the water until my feet and hands had shrivelled up like prunes. Eliza was out, so I emerged from my usual hiding place in my room to read on the couch.

I spent the afternoon reading, some YA fantasy series I'd seen someone on tumblr raving about. It was a welcome distraction from the boredom I already felt now that I wasn't working. It was my first day of vacation, and I was already bored. I guess I'd be reading a lot more books than usual the next couple weeks, to keep me busy. I'd probably wheedle Phil into hanging out with me, too. Maybe I could even get away with a sleepover like when we were kids, now that I knew his roommate.

The book was one of those one's you couldn't put down until you finished it, so I just kept going all afternoon. I stopped to order thai food for delivery at around seven o'clock, but the rest of the night was spent finishing up the book. I was ready to go to bed by ten, but managed to make plans for the next day before I went to bed. I decided I'd go to the phone company's store tomorrow and get my number changed, and then just see what would happen.

That night, I fell asleep easily, too easily, and I should've known I wouldn't be having a normal dream that night. I should've known my past would come back to haunt me in the worst of ways.