Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Anyone who has ever been bullied

"Today was their anniversary." Riley Robinson shifted her backpack on her shoulders. The first day of fifth grade had been making her more nervous than she'd expected. Remembering that today would have been her parents' anniversary wasn't helping calm the butterflies in her stomach. 

"Hmm?" Her older brother, Nate, pulled out one of his ear buds, twirling the wire on his fingers. The three Robinson children were headed down the street for the bus stop. 

"Mom and Dad," Riley insisted. "Today was their anniversary, remember?"

"I remember," Abby, the youngest, said quietly. "Mommy and Daddy said they got married today."

"Of course it had to be on the first day of school this year," Riley sighed. Nate turned and grabbed her by the shoulders. 

"Hey, take it easy. I know you're nervous. I promise. Fifth grade's great. You're gonna love it."

"Yeah," Abby piped up. "You're lucky. I want to start the fifth grade!"

"Nah," Nate told her. "Enjoy it while it lasts. Middle school sucks." He ran his hands through his wild hair, trying to make it spike up even more than it already was. 

Riley nudged him affectionately. "Of course you get to say that, now that you aren't in it anymore."

Their brother was starting his first day of high school. He would be the first of the Robinson children to have to take the bus to school instead of walking. 

The three of them turned left and walked up to the corner, where the old, dented bus stop sign had stood for years. A circle of kids had already made their way to the curb. Nate's girlfriend, Allison, nodded at him as he approached. His friend, Kyle, had set them up a few months ago, at the beginning of the summer. It wasn't hard, since they were on the same soccer team and Nate said they were into the same things.

Allison smiled at them as they approached. "Hey, guys!" she said to Abby and Riley. "You excited for the first day?"

"Yes!" Abby grinned.

"Sure." Riley tried her best to match her sister's enthusiasm.

"Better go." Nate told his sisters as he hooked an arm around Allison's shoulder. "Wouldn't want to be late."

"You just want us to leave so you can kiss her," Abby giggled.

Riley took her sister by the hand. "If that's true, then I don't wanna be around to see it. Bye, Nate! See you later!"

The two girls left Nate to wait for the bus made their way out of the neighborhood and through Tuscon Crossing, their sleepy little town.  As they passed the morning practice on the soccer field, Riley slowed to watch a ball arc through the air, aimed by the skillful foot of a player below. The Ice Cream Parlor- located at the end of Main Street-was featuring a new flavor. 

In bigger places, like the city, Riley had heard that a lot of parents didn't allow kids to walk around on their own. But Riley had been walking to school since she was six, although back then Nate had been with her. The middle school was only a couple of streets down from the elementary. 

A crowd of kids was already milling around at the front entrance to the elementary school, but Riley took Abby around to the back, where the carline was. Ben, one of her friends, was waiting for them as they approached.

"What's up, guys? How's it going, Abbs?" He pulled one of her ringlets and she smiled at him.

"Pretty good, Ben. You?" Riley liked Ben, even though he talked too much sometimes. 

"I'd be better if this thing wasn't so dang heavy!" Ben hefted his backpack and grinned at her. "Is yours any better?"

"Nope. It'd be really cool if they didn't keep making the supply lists so ginormous," Riley said.