Chapter 13

“Riley! Abby! Wake up you two!” Someone was pounding on her bedroom door. She could hear whoever it was patter over to Abby’s bedroom, which was right next to hers, and start knocking on her door too.

“Go away,” Riley yelled, pulling her pillow over her head. 

Her door was thrown open and Nate poked his head in. He stormed over to her bed and yanked the covers off. Riley groaned and turned to check her digital clock. It was only seven. “I’m not waking you up for school, dummy! Max’s gone missing!” he exclaimed.

What?” Riley shot up in her bed and swung her legs over the side, kicking clothes out of the way as she scrambled out of her blankets.

Nate was scratching his head, looking around Riley’s room with wild eyes. “They’ve called the police and panned out a search party, but so far they’ve got nothing. Apparently when Jacob woke up this morning he looked in Max’s room but couldn’t find him.”

Riley threw on a pair of shorts and an old soccer jersey. She rushed outside to find that several cop cars were patrolling the streets, and several of her neighbors were walking around, trying to call Max’s name and figure out where he was.

Nate had woken up Abby, and she stood on the front steps in her pajamas, not having bothered to change. Max, after all, was one of her best friends. Abby tugged at her brother’s arm. “Where are Mark and Judy?”

Nate bit his lip and stared at the house across the street intensely. “They were outside. They told me to tell you they were joining the search party. Mrs. Thomas called to ask if we’ve seen him when you guys were asleep.”

“So no school today?” Riley asked." Are we joining the search party?"

Nate sighed. “Of course not."

“What?” Abby protested. “Nate, Max is missing!”

“That doesn’t mean we can skip school, Abby. Let’s hope he shows up in class today or something.  Everyone is saying it’s starting to look like Max was kidnapped.”

“Kidnapped?” Riley was starting to panic. “But it’s not dangerous right now! It’s light, and people are searching for him.”

"Sorry, the answer is no. I promised Mark and Judy we would go to school."

"And act like everything is normal when it isn't?" Riley demanded. 

Nate left the room without answering, but when Abby started to follow, Riley grabbed her arm. "Abbs, I need you to do something for me."

Abby, always eager to do a favor, nodded. "What?"

"Let Nate leave. Tell him that we'll catch up to him later or something. Then you leave, and I'll stay here."

"Why?"

Riley couldn't believe she was skipping school again. Yes, she had a reason, but she would get in trouble if she caught. Even more than last time.

Abby's eyes widened as she came to the conclusion. "Riley, you can't skip again!"

"I want to find Max. I want to help. If I get in trouble, you let me worry about that, okay?"

In the end, it wasn't that hard to convince her sister. After Nate left, Abby gave her a hug, making  her promise to be careful, and walked out the door. 

After that, Riley thought about how she could join the search without anyone noticing. She dressed quickly as she considered her options. Maybe if she explained to Mark and Judy why she was skipping again, they wouldn't be so mad.