Chapter 5

That Friday, Riley walked briskly and nervously across the walkway to the library. She didn’t think he’d follow her now. After all, it was during lunchtime. Emmy and Henry would probably miss her in the cafeteria, but at this point it would be worth it not to have to face him again.

Riley had been walking down the hallway headed for the bathroom when she’d noticed she was behind Jacob and a crowd of kids that surrounded him. She didn’t know what had come over her, but a flash of anger surged through her when she saw him. Riley rushed forward and kicked Jacob in the back of the knee, making him drop most of the books he was carrying. Riley was out of his sight by the time either him or his friends knew what had happened and she’d hidden in the girls’ bathroom until she was sure he was gone.

She spent lunch in the library and walked home alone, too frightened to think about the possibility of encountering Jacob again.

After school that Tuesday, as was their usual routine, Riley met Emmy at Abby’s softball practice, where they sat in the bleachers, doing homework and keeping an eye on the star pitcher of the team. A member of the opposing team stepped up to bat, a girl with long black hair and rather thick arms. She raised her elbows and bent her knees as she narrowed her eyes at Abby, sizing up her skinny arms and legs.

The girl chuckled. “You gotta be kidding me. This kid's the pitcher?” she asked.

Riley felt her own fists tighten in anger. Just because Abby was only eight and playing in a division for kids older than her, this girl didn’t have to make fun of her. But Abby stayed calm, giving the girl a cool stare from under the rim of her cap.

“When did this turn into a daycare? I mean-“

The girl’s words were cut off as Abby threw a perfect curveball, sliding past the girl and into the catcher’s mitt. “Try paying attention next time!" Abby said cheerfully, with a shake of her long brown hair. The next two pitches were the same, and ended with the girl throwing down her bat in anger and cursing.

“Good try!” Abby smiled as she placed one hand on her hip and tossed the ball up into the air, catching it with ease in her baseball mitt.

Riley wondered how her sister had remained so calm. If it had been her out there, she would have personally beaned the girl in the head with the ball.

After the game was over, Riley rode slowly home on her board, taking a shortcut through the woods. The path through the woods allowed her to skate through the trees.

Skateboarding was the only thing she could do without falling on her face. Her mom had taught her when she was very young.

"People who tell you that you can't skateboard, that girls can't skateboard? Don't listen to them," her mom had said. "I skateboarded, and I was one of the best."

"Better than all the boys?" Riley had asked.

"Yes, Riley." Her mom had laughed while she said it. Riley still remembered the sound of it. It was the kind of laugh that made you want to laugh too.

Riley realized she hadn't noticed the sound of footfalls and tire wheels that were not her own.

Riley frowned, wondering if her imagination was playing tricks on her. That was until she heard voices.

“There she is!

The next thing Riley knew, her skateboard had gone off the path and she had hit the dirt with a jolt, scattering several leaves. Riley stood up quickly, surrounded by several faces. One of them familiar, but unfriendly and unforgiving. Jacob stepped forward and shoved his hands hard into Riley’s chest. “You probably think you’re funny, don’t you?”